Chocolates harder to train than yellow or black?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolates harder to train than yellow or black?

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultChocolates harder to train than yellow or black?

Are chocolate labs harder to train than yellow or black ones? Mine is a 14 week old female who often does not stop inappropriate behavior even when she hears NO in a loud, authoritative voice or when we ultimately have to physically pull her away from whatever she is doing. She stubbornly returns to what she was doing with a wild-eyed look. Often the only way we have to stop bad behavior is to give her a time-out in her crate, but I've heard that the crate should never be used for punishment. Not sure what else to do. We can't have her biting inappropriate things (including us). She has LOTS of chew toys which we try to substitute for the object that she is chewing, she attends Puppy Kindergarten, we have regular training sessions for sit, down, and stay, and we play regularly with her and try to take her for walks (although walking is a real challenge with this dog). Hoping that she will outgrow this as she matures. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

i don't think the colour makes a difference n how difficult or easy the dog it to train. ultimately it is down to hard work and consistency. also if you use no as a command for everything she is doing wrong...it wont mean much. teach different commands, such as "leave it" for thinks she goes for, and "drop it" for thinks she picks up etc.... constant NO will become pointless.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

color has nothing to do with temperament or personality. You just have a puppy, nothing there sounds like a bad or difficult dog.

Chocolate have a bad rap because they are less likely (as they are a recessive gene). So when the colour because popular, breeders starting breeding just for the colour, not caring for temperament or health. This lead to many chocolate have health issues and being less like the standard "labrador temperament". So it isn't due to the gene or colour but due to the breeding.

Also, using "no" for everything is not really the best way to succeed with training. Try to be more specific. Sounds like you are using "no" to mean many different things (stop doing what you are doing, drop it, leave it, etc.) which is confusing for a puppy.

Also, remember to set the puppy up for success. Reward when they ARE doing the right thing, set them up to make the right decision by setting up their environment for it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

it's in the breeding, not the color. byb , overdone with chocolates, yes will be difficult. not because of color, because of breeding.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

I have chocolates with obedience titles, no they are not harder to train.

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Piper has always responded better to positive reinforcement or to diversion techniques. When she was little like that and started acting up, we would go for a walk. Not a long walk, usually just around the block but it seemed to distract her from being naughty. The neighbors would laugh at us "Out again???" but it worked much better for us than telling her no all the time. Congrats on your puppy!

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Oh, I forgot to add my opinion on the color thing... I don't one color is better than the other (Pipe is yellow) I just think some puppies are more puppyish than others!

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I have had experience with yellow, chocolate and currently own a black. All have been the same with the same results. When we got our black one, he was the only black in the litter. The breeder told us that he was cheaper than the yellows because they are more popular. That didn't matter to us as we now have the only black one in the family.

In our obedience school, there is a lady with a Doberman who yells HAULT over and over and over and AH-AH over and over in a “loud and authoritative voice”. This does not even phase her dog as she has obviously said it so many times OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER – it has ZERO effect on the dog. Her dog doesn't even look at her; he just continues doing whatever bad behaviour he was before. Also, the dog doesn't just know what "NO" means. You as the owner will have to teach them commands you want them to learn like leave it, and drop it, etc., and you as the owner will have to teach them the consequences of not listening to you.

The absolute last thing you want to do is put your dog in a crate for bad behaviour. That is such a bad thing to do. If you were planning on crate training your dog, you will most likely have a much more difficult time. Your dog is going to associate going into the crate as a negative thing. Your dog will think “I have been a bad girl and now I am being sent to my crate which is where I go when I’m bad”. This also means every time you leave the home and leave her in the crate, she thinks she has done something bad.

When crate training, you want to make their crate a happy and safe place. We bring the crate out into the living room and leave it open when we watch TV, or in the kitchen or whatever. Whenever your dog goes into the crate on their own, cheer and praise them. Soon they associate going into the crate is a good thing. When our dog was a puppy, if he did something bad he would go into his crate and lay down and sulk because he knew that the crate was his safe home and that’s what he associated it as. We say “go to bed” and he runs and lies down in his crate before we even close the door.

I’m not sure what kind of puppy classes you are going to, or what they are teaching you, but you should be able to tell them the problems you have and they should be able to give you good answers based on your breed and problem. If they can’t, I would be looking for something better – no offence.

Some people think that “it’s just puppy behaviour and that’s fine”, but these puppy months are crucial in teaching your dog things. If you don’t do it now, in my opinion, you will have to spend a lot of time teaching a big dog out of bad habits, instead of a small easy to handle dog.

Also, at that age, you shouldn’t really be walking them very far as their joints are not fully developed (which does more harm than anything). They do not need the “exercise” yet. In my opinion, having a dog that walks nicely on a lead all has to do with OBEDIANCE – teach the basics first.

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

They are in the same way brown people are harder to train than yellow or white people

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Won't compare dogs to people. I see parentage being the key with a dog, not color. Depends on how good tempered the breeder wants his line to be. Yes, anything that becomes popular, sometimes good temperament goes by the wayside, as I've seen it in bunnies.

KAZ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast