What the?????????

Thread: What the?????????

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat the?????????

heck is a tan point labrador? I've heard all about the silvers, the champagnes, the fox reds but I've never heard or read about a tan point labrador.

Piper and I were at the dog park yesterday morning and she was playing with what I thought was a nine month old lab/shep mix. Very nice puppy, very good-looking. Still, as I was chatting with the owner I asked "Is she a lab/shepard mix?" "No. She is a pure bred tan point labrador. They are very, very rare."

Huh.

I didn't say anything cuz she's not my dog and I just want Piper to have someone to run with but I have never heard of that. And I've read lots of rants on here about lots of things but I've never read that, sooooo.....super curious. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Wow! That is so interesting to me. I have never read about it on here before so I thought the poor guy was crazy but a couple of the pictures looked exactly like his puppy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

It's possible you have a "designer" lab.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Wow, really playing with colors with the Labs. Is there a reason that this "color craze" has surfaced. Not been on here long enough to understand, but do understand colors and genetics in rabbits. I know how strict the Flemish Giant breeders are with their basic colors and frown deeply on other colors that are experimented. The Flemish breeders are finding it hard to get the correct color as the experiment colors are showing up in their litters from other stock.

Are the breeders who are breeding these 'rare" colors bringing in other breeds to get this color?

KAZ

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

it depends what you mean by playing with colors.

Mismarks happen within the breed (that is the link i posted). they occur naturally in the breed. No a reputable breeder should not breed for them. but sometimes you can't predict they will happen (most of the time). responsible breeders breed for the breed standard. i would think none of the color test could predict mismarks either

There are some issues like "silvers" which are an intoduced color by adding another breed. (came in via kennels that bred labs and weims). some will argur this is a lie but if you do independant research you will find there were no silvers ever until they popped up only in america. but now you find them more and more, but again reputable breeders should be breeding to the standard. same for charcoals.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Thank you Dryfo for your reply. Understand mismark in rabbits, and should have understood it can occur in dogs as well.

Regarding the "silvers", not a person who thinks mixing breeds (lab and weims) is a good idea. Why would want to tamper with such an intelligent dog with exterior visuals? Doesn't seem worth it. Just having Lilly for a short bit, I see the genetic potential within this puppy. Why mess with it?

Love Black, Yellow and Chocolate. Have a black, and will eventually have a yellow.

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    it depends what you mean by playing with colors.

Mismarks happen within the breed (that is the link i posted). they occur naturally in the breed. No a reputable breeder should not breed for them. but sometimes you can't predict they will happen (most of the time). responsible breeders breed for the breed standard. i would think none of the color test could predict mismarks either

There are some issues like "silvers" which are an intoduced color by adding another breed. (came in via kennels that bred labs and weims). some will argur this is a lie but if you do independant research you will find there were no silvers ever until they popped up only in america. but now you find them more and more, but again reputable breeders should be breeding to the standard. same for charcoals.