Just Labradors banner

Chook collar or Pinch collar

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  leahmariv 
G
#1 ·
Tater just isnt getting any better with his walking skills and we take him for walks every night and running and take him to the beach to walk and nothing. By boss was telling me about this collar that pinches the dog. But I have never used either one and was wondering if you guys have some feed back on it. I dont want to use either think it is kind of mean. ???

#2 ·
Maybe you should try a Gentle Leader type of collar first. It's made from fabric and goes around the dog's muzzle and neck. Choke and pinch collars can be dangerous to your dog if improperly used. You need somebody to show you how to put those collars on and how to use them first.

#4 ·
W/guidance, the Pinch collar can be your salvation (it sure was ours!).

1) It must fit correctly. Meaning it must be snug so's not to fall down around the dog's chest, but not too snug that it pinches 100% of the time.

2) It must be worn UP around the ears. Also, be careful putting it on and taking it off. Use the same ring every time (mark it w/a piece of electical tape) so that it becomes easier. And I would not use the breakaway pinch collars, as they tend to, well, breakaway, even when you don't want them to.

3) Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use a Pinch collar w/out you or someone responsible on the other end of the leash.

4) THE LEASH/LIVE RING MUST BE KEPT LOOSE INBETWEEN CORRECTIONS.

5) Pincher collar is a goodcop/badcop training tool, meaning the collar is badcop, You MUST be goodcop. When teaching, be sure to PRAISE the good stuff while the collar corrects the bad stuff!

6) Unlike a G/L or Halti, Pinch can be used to teach more than heel. In fact, it's pretty good at helping you teach the auto-sit, down, etc. etc.

BUT!!!!!!

7) A Pinch collar isn't a way of life. When your dog has learned what you wanted him to learn, graduate back to a buckle collar (maybe a choke chain first, THEN to a buckle) and retire the pinch to the bottom of your training bag.

Alhough it may look like a midevil torture device, it is not. And although your dog may yelp when it corrects, he's not being hurt. It gains their attention 100%. It's then up to you what you do w/that attention...

Good luck!  ;D

#6 ·
I've tried the Gentle leader with Mocha and she fought it for 6 months until I gave up and tried went to the prong.  Most dogs don't like it on their nose and will not let it go.  Some get used to it though and it does stop the pulling.  Premier the maker of the GL also make the Easy Walk Harness which if you don't care about training them to walk on a flat collar one day will stop the pulling and make walks much easier.  

Mocha didn't respond at all with a choke chain collar and would continue to pull.  With the prong she is doing wonderful and learning to walk nicely with very few corrections.  I know it looks midevil and like a torture device but it isn't Mocha loves it when I get it out and waits for me to put it on.  With the GL she ran away when I got it out.

As Dweck said though fit is important for it to work correctly and be safe.  And you need to issue corrections not keep it tight at all times.  It needs to be loose unless a correction is being given which is a short pop on the leash.  

#7 ·
Question please? Not critisizing anyone please don't feel that way, but what about collar training period? Doesn't require choke collar, prong collar just plain old collar, and I am assuming your problem is coming from the fact that the dog is pulling like a sled dog instead of walking gently?

Have you tried the tree method of training? Put them on the sidewalk street whereever there is a slick type surface and the second the dog begins pulling you become a tree. They eventually will see they are not making any ground, and if the pulling continues you walk backwards firmly pulling back so the dog is losing ground. Doesn't require any voice commands, once the pulling has stopped resume walking and as long as the walk is gently praise with good boy/girl good walk. The second the pull starts again, you become a tree and again if pulling continues then start walking backwards. You will be amazed how soon they realize they aren't getting where they want to go. My neighbor even has a dog sitting business in her home and she had problems with the larger breeds, I told her to try this and it has worked for her even in the older dogs that used to take her out for a drag. Hope this helps!!

Bo =o)
Jazz's Mom BL 11 months old.

#9 ·
Fergus was terrible on leash, until a few weeks ago when we got him an Easy Walker. It is made by Gentle Leader, but instead of going around the muzzle(which Fergus and most other dogs we know HATED) it goes around their chest. It was at the point where I wasn't able to walk Fergus on my own, he was just to powerful and would not stop pulling. Fergus has to be on leash at all times right now because of an ACL injury, so everyday was a struggle and our walks were not enjoyable! Now with the Easy Walker, he prances and trotts right beside us and doesn't pull at all!! It truely is a mircle worker, they are a bit expensive, cost us around $45CND, but was worth every cent. I suggest giving that try. We got ours at Pet Smart, so hopefully it'll be easy to find where you live.

#10 ·
First off our puppy with just a normal collar, doesn't walk she plants her butt and wont move. taking her on walks was not fun. i felt bad pulling her and she would plant her butt so hard that her collar would almost come off. so we decided to try a choke collar.but the choke one did not seem to fas her so we tried the prong collar our (hunting trainers suggestion) Wow it works great and we have never been worried it would hurt her. she goes what ever direction you want her to go with just a little tung :) hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.