Having trouble identifying a Lab

Thread: Having trouble identifying a Lab

UnhappyHaving trouble identifying a Lab

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile but I was wondering if anyone ever gets those annoying people that will have to ask you what breed your Lab is? I have already gotten more than a few random people who had trouble identifying my dog and one person was naive enough to ask if she was a "blue nose" Pit Bull, lol. It makes me wonder how really uneducated people are on their dog breeds. I wish I could hold a class on dog breeds in general in my area strictly for those interested in learning more about the vast dog breeds in the world just to get through to people, or even stick on sign on my dog saying, "I'm a Labrador".

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tarimoor is offline Junior Member

Because of the sheer numbers of Labradors bred, there is going to be a range of shapes, sizes and colours. I've got three chocolate Labradors, all related, and yet all quite different. One of my girls is quite a pale choc, and because of that, it does throw some people, particularly if her coat is bleached as they just don't see many chocolate Labradors with such a pale coat.

She's the one on the right in this pic (obviously) and the other girl is her older half sister.

And here she is with one of her daughters

It's amazing that despite being the most popular breed in many countries, how little the general public know about Labradors, or maybe I'm just a dog nerd.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Problem is, the Labrador is so over-bred that they vary greatly in looks. What a lab should look like according to the breed standard is not what most people are accustomed to seeing. 90% of Lab owners have what is considered "pet bred" labs...and more often than not, those of us with bench or show bred labs get hassled about what breed we own.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Problem is, the Labrador is so over-bred that they vary greatly in looks. What a lab should look like according to the breed standard is not what most people are accustomed to seeing. 90% of Lab owners have what is considered "pet bred" labs...and more often than not, those of us with bench or show bred labs get hassled about what breed we own.
    Agreed, the Lab is most certainly over-bred by far being one of the most popular breeds in the world but it shouldn't be that difficult, even for the average person to identify if they are a Lab or not. Hanna definitely comes from "pet bred" Labs because she is simply that, a pet and is very small for her breed. Her tail is amputated, maybe that also threw off people?

It's just frustrating having people ask me what kind of dog is she. This was just a rant if anything, I didn't even think anyone was going to respond.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

mauricio is offline Senior Member

doesn't bother me at all. and mine are well bred and look what a lab should look like. not everyone knows dogs.

podaran is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    .... I was wondering if anyone ever gets those annoying people that will have to ask you what breed your Lab is? I have already gotten more than a few random people who had trouble identifying my dog and one person was naive enough to ask if she was a "blue nose" Pit Bull, lol. It makes me wonder how really uneducated people are on their dog breeds. I wish I could hold a class on dog breeds in general in my area strictly for those interested in learning more about the vast dog breeds in the world just to get through to people, or even stick on sign on my dog saying, "I'm a Labrador".
    I know! I've had people ask me if I was "sure" my dog was a "pure bred lab". I had to tell them mine was probably more Field bred than English.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DuryLane is offline Member

I would say that I am reasonably knowledgable about most of the dog breeds and have no problem identifying a Lab, but I got one pulled over on me when I met a 6 month old "silver Lab"......I honestly thought it was a weimaraner puppy because it was the furthest thing from a Lab that I have seen, yet the owner informed me it was a silver Lab!