Hair balls

Thread: Hair balls

DefaultHair balls

Has anyone elses lab thrown up a hairball? Seriously Mocha has a few times including one last night. It's not often at all I don't remember the last time but I know she has done it before. It's a mixture of my hair (I shed worse than a cat :-\) and her hair and the one last night had other stuff in it but it's a big clump of hair and stuff. I heard her throwing up during the night last night and of course when I got up there was this big clump and then mucasy stuff too. I probably need to vaccum more but the carpets are dark so they don't show her hair much so I don't but once a week. I always notice my hair and hers on her balls and kong and chewy stuff and try to get it off before I give it to her but I'm sure she still eats some. Can this be dangerous for her? I don't want it causing a blockage or anything as the thing she threw up was definately big enough to do so. It was at least 1"x2" EWWWW...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hair balls

My JRT, Scout, used to have hairball issue when he was younger...he has OCD for "cleaning" himself and any other animal in the house (at the time a cat and jrt). The vet actually suggested prescribing him the same med they give cats if he keeps up with it. At the though of my dog getting cat medicine, I immediatly started a little diversion therapy at home: He began to lick, I'd tell him "leave it" and pet him/play tug/give him a treat or bone. Once I broke his obnoxious habit, we didn't have any more hairballs

So, I guess my advice would be to teach her "leave it" and/or talk to your vet about meds...good luck!

DefaultRe: Hair balls

She does clean herself but not obcessivly and at least part of the hair is mine that she picks up when chewing on her treats and toys that are on the floor. I guess I just need to vaccum a lot more often to get it all up. It has been probably 10 months since she did it last time if not longer.