Long Car Travel w/ Lab -- Advice, Suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Car Travel w/ Lab -- Advice, Suggestions

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultLong Car Travel w/ Lab -- Advice, Suggestions

This summer I'll be taking Sami and my kids to visit their grandparents. We'll be traveling 16 hours over the course of two days (although I could take three if it's recommended here). Any tips, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that (sadly) Sami isn't really crazy about car travel. She used to get car sick, and although she's past that now, I would only say that she tolerates it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Long Car Travel w/ Lab -- Advice, Suggestions

I don't really have any advice or suggestions other then to maybe make time for a few extended potty breaks along the way to get Sami out of the car a little longer (then to just do her business). The longest Abby has been in the car was about 6 1/2 hours because of traffic on the way to the beach so I'm certainly no expert.

Do you crate her in the car? Maybe you could put a nice stuffed kong in there for her.

Other then that...Good Luck!!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

We traveled with our dogs cross country when I was a kid as dad was in the Air Force and now I have taken Cinnamon as far as a 10 hour drive.

Don't let the kids get Sam all worked up. Ours usually settled and slept once we were on the inter-state for an hour or so. We also used to stop in town not at the rest area. I will look for a school or church with a fenced area I can let them run in and play ball. Of course I always pick up any doggie dids. And have been known to make contributions to churches for the use of their lawn.

They usually do well on long trips. We usually drive about 8 hours a day total.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

We did 1100 miles over 2.5 days with Jack (8 years) and Baby Girl (7+). They are very good travellersWe stopped every two or three hours for a short walk. Made sure they had water, gave them a walk when we stopped for restroom breaks and fuel. No problems. We played fetch for a while before the start of the ride each day and some grazing time in the yard before rolling out.

HTH

If you can, give her a good romp before you head off and then just stop when you naturally do for meals/gas/potty breaks. I've taken my dogs on many 8+ hour car rides and they don't mind at all...but they're certainly ready to rock and roll when we arrive!

I have found that traveling with a dog who gets car sick is to use a crate in the car. If you have the room this is much better. Their vision is usually blocked and they are confined and are less apt to get sick, but if they do you have only one place to clean up.

Good luck

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

Buddy has made several trips from South Florida to NY. I rented a van each time. Twice we were lucky and had Caravans that allowed us to remove the middle seat and turn it sideways like an "L" shaped couch. It gave us a large open area in the middle of the van and Buddy was able to stand a stretch at will. Whenever we stopped for gas - or if someone needed a drink or bathroom visit, we would attach his leash and make him walk outside. Sometimes it would take a lot of coaxing as he was quite happy to stay put!!
    I drove two 12 hour days to get door-to-door and had no problems with him at all. He actually slept most of the way.

Make sure that they get plenty of exercise before you go tkae breaks as often as is possible and I would think if you could do it over three days that would be much much better..Good luck!

Anne is offline Senior Member

For a couple of years, we (hubby, 2 labs and 2 cats) were wintering in Florida, and summering in Maine. So, that meant that twice yearly, we had to pack everyone up and make the 1500 mile trip.

Not sure if you have made your travel plans yet, but if you plan on staying in a hotel on the road, look for Red Roof Inns. I have found them to be the cleanest, pet-friendly hotel/motels on the road. They also "usually" have a field or grassy area near by which is essential.

One of our dogs is a fantastic traveler. The other, just isn't. He doesn't get car sick, but he is tremendously nervous. Panting, drooling, pacing (when available.)

1. Small breakfast before you hit the road. Try and make the "loading up" process as happy and fun as possible. A quick walk around the block wouldn't hurt, either.
    2. Frequent stops. We stopped probably every 1.5 to 2 hours. We always took advantage of state rest areas because they always have a grassy/wooded areas specifically for dogs.
    3. Keep a jug of water and water bowl in the car. That way, you can offer Sami fluids at every stop.
    4. When you stop for the day, a longer walk is a great way to work out the kinks.

What kind of vehicle will you be using? Will there be room for Sami to lie down on her favorite blanket or bed?

Good luck! It will be find. A pain in the patooty, but fine. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

kym

it's so funny your question came up now. i'm planning the first long car trip with lola this april. i've already changed things around to make her more comfortable. the trip up is 6 hours, so i made plans to go a day earlier and spend the night at a pet friendly b&b, this will cut the travel in half. then, on the way back, i've mapped out a half way point that has a huge park so we can take a good hike and throw the ball around, there is also a Trader Joe's and a BBQ restaurant in that town, so it's a bonus stop for me ! i think they will mostly sleep anyway, but a packed kong with a super yummy treat in it should keep them occupied. i'm fortunate because lola has been great in the car since the day we got her. let's hope that keep up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast