Frontline vs. Advantix

Thread: Frontline vs. Advantix

mydogmiles is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrontline vs. Advantix

We currently use Frontline Plus, but are thinking of switching to K9 Advantix because of the skeeter protection. In looking at the ingredients, though, I notice that Advantix had one of the same active ingredients (permethrin) as Biospot. I know Biospot has caused some bad problems, but what are your opinions on Advantix?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Frontline vs. Advantix

It irritated Rider's skin.

I prefer the protection of Frontline Plus.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Beau has issues with fleas because of where we live but we also have the skeeter problem..we tries advantix but the flea meds were not strong enough because of all the other meds for skeeters and ticks so we had to go to revoultion teal...Hopefully it will work for you give it a try.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We use Frontline Plus on both the dogs.

We use Frontline here too....I don't think Advantix is waterproof and since Riley loves the water, we've never tried it.

Tundra Aries Guest

We use Frontline here.

Linda Guest

I have used K9 Advantix for several years on both dogs with no problems, no fleas, no ticks whatsoever, and we have lots of them here. I chose it over Frontline because of the added mosquito protection.

This is info from k9advantix.com about K9's effectiveness after bathing or swimming:

Keeps working after swimming or bathing.
    K9 AdvantixTM remains effective after swimming or bathing. After repeated swims,
    it kills 97.9-100% of ticks and 92.5-100% of fleas. After bathing, it kills 97.4-100% of ticks and fleas.4 You can use it with confidence for dogs who like water.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I use Advantix. I used to use Frontline but it seemed to lose effectiveness on ticks. My dogs swim frequently and the Advantix keeps working.

Advantix does a much better job with fleas, it repels ticks (Frontline doesn't) and it repels mosquitos (Frontline doesn't).

People say it's not as water resistant, however, so people that have dogs that swim a lot usually use Frontline. Also, some people don't like the permethrins in Advantix (irritation or other reasons).

I'm not sure one is better than the other. I usually use Frontline, but I'm going to try K9 Advantix this year for the mosquito protection and tick repellant factors. We'll see how waterproof it is since Jes swims almost daily.