New puppy - opinions?

Thread: New puppy - opinions?

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

DefaultNew puppy - opinions?

Bailey is 4 and a half months old. We have a chance to get a black female four months old from a foster care. She has a broken leg right now, but the foster mother says she's great with her toddlers and three dogs.

We have a lot of love and a lot of fenced in yard. How about two that age together? Any opinions? We have two weeks to decide and let our vet check her out. I'd value your opinions if you're willing to share them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New puppy - opinions?

I wouldn't. My personal rule is two years at least between dogs (three-five is optimal, for me), but I would suggest you wait till Bailey is a year at the earliest - you're going to be dealing with doggy adolescence soon, and you'll need your full focus to make sure Bailey grows up to be a happy well mannered family member.

two websites for you:
    http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/liv...ttermates.html
    http://home.att.net/~pvee/dbltrbl.html

Now my situation is different than what you are suggesting. We have littermates. Our girls are 8 months old. Let me tell you.... they are HANDFULS!! I wouldn't trade them for the world, but they really keep you on your toes. I think as they grow this will change some. I'm just telling you that 2 puppies is a lot to handle. I know from experience.
    But - I've also basically been scolded by some people for having littermates. People always say that they will bond more with each other than with me. Yes... they will bond. But that's like saying having twins is wrong. There are some advantages. The girls always have a friend around. They are the best of friends... and that's really neat. They can keep each other entertained (and entertain my husband and I as we watch). I say that you need to think about the challenges of owning 2 puppies. What one puppy doesn't think of the other one will

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I second the "what one doesn't think of, the other one will!" LOL!

I'm sorry, but I am afraid I'm going to have to vote no. While I love having two and worship the ground they walk on, we waited until Angus was a year to get Simon. And now, I'm not even 100% sure that was long enough. I can't imagine having had to deal with both of them at four months!

I think it served us well to wait until Angus was a bit more mature and had some solid training under his belt. I'm here to tell you, it is FOUR TIMES the work to train two as it is just one.

Two is much more expensive, and while in ways it demands less of your time because they entertain each other, in ways it demands more because you want to make very sure that they are both still bonding with you. That means individual "quality" time. I sometimes have a hard time fitting it in.

Oh, and the dirt. Let's see, I think it's about eight times more dirt and hair. LOL!

Sorry to be presenting all these negatives. I don't mean to throw cold water...just trying to help you think of it from every angle.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

My advice, after puppy sitting for a friend for the last 5 days, and having a 5 month old lab is....Puppy sit for several days in a row, and see how you feel first. I can tell you from our end, we will wait for Apollo to be at least a year and a half old before we consider adding another labby to our family.

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

I'd wait. You're through the house training stage of puppyhood, but your patience is about to be tested in other ways. Finley's just hit 5 months old, and has been at the "I know what 'sit' is, but I'm not gonna do it!" stage for a couple of weeks now. You are yet to go through the adolescent stage where you will want to tear your hair out and feel like your training is going backwards at light speed. That's hard enough with one dog.

There's a lot to think about with two dogs. They both need to be trained (ideally this needs to be done separately, no matter what age the dogs are), you need to work out whether you are going to feed them at the same time or in the same place, they both need to be walked, they both need play time with you... all of this is SO much easier with an older, fully trained dog. The great thing about having an older dog first is you already know pretty much what's coming with the second. We knew the cute puppy would turn into destruct-o-pup, we knew he'd turn selectively deaf, and now we're waiting for him to turn into private-investigator-lab.

No matter when you get a second dog, they will (most likely) bond with each other. Kira was 2 when we got Finley and they are virtually inseperable. Finley wants to be where ever Kira is, first and foremost. It's also really, really nice having a puppy in the house again now that Kira's mellowing out a bit. I highly recommend waiting to experience the puppy moments again.

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for your help. You've voiced my main concerns, the training separately (Bailey is almost through puppy K) and the adolescent period coming up. We'll definitely think long and hard about it.

Edited to say, Katris, thanks for the links. Very interesting.

Of course the decision is yours if they are close to the same age and you have the time and will I say go for it as long as you are able to provide proper exercise for both then you can do it but I can imaigine it will take a lot of time...Good luck with whatever you decide.