Lab and Smaller Puppies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab and Smaller Puppies

DefaultLab and Smaller Puppies

i adopted a 7 month old lab (Koda) two weeks ago and my girlfriend has a 3 month old Daschund mix (RJ) and a 2 month old toy poodle (Lucky). yesterday was the first time they got to see each other and i was a little concerned just because of the size difference. we kept RJ and Lucky in their pen and let Koda walk around the pen so they could check each other out. then we took Lucky and RJ out and held them by Koda so he could smell them. Lucky and RJ were so terrified of Koda because he's MUCH larger than them. whenever they would run Koda would chase them and accidently step on them, even step on their heads! this did not help RJ and Lucky feel comfortable playing with Koda so we decided it would be best to keep them separated until we can get some advice on how to properly introduce them to each other so Koda won't play so rough. is this possible or is a bad idea since Koda is WAY bigger than Lucky and RJ? thanks for the advice guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lab and Smaller Puppies

unusually mix of dogs. my opinion, I'd just let them together and learn how to play together for a few hours. They'll figure it out. Cats & Dogs learn to live together, so can dogs of different sizes.

im just worried that Koda might accidently hurt them. will Lucky and RJ eventually stop being afraid of him? what else do you guys recommend i do?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Were RJ and Lucky around bigger dogs before? Meaning were they socialized with bigger dogs or only dogs their own size?

Ender is still a pup but he likes to play with any size dog... and at time it looks like he's getting pummled but as long as he doesn't yelp, I know he's enjoying it. And the minute you seperate him from the other dogs he's raring to go back to them and instigate a game of bitey face.

I would be concerned that RJ and Lucky may not know how to be around a larger dog and if they are that fearful, it will take a while for them to get used to Koda.

~Lindsay

Honestly he can hurt the little ones so you do need to be very careful. We have a Yorkie (2 1/5 y.o. 7 lbs) and a 63lb 1 1/2 y.o lab. We keep them seperated unless we can 100% watch them. It's not ideal but it's what we have to do to keep the yorkie safe. Mocha as a little puppy was around the yorkie (Smeagol) and they played great but as Mocha grew she dosn't realize that Smeagol is so small and Smeagol dosn't realize it himself either. He will try to play bitty face with Mocha and bark and try to get her to play. The last time we let them out in the yard loose together Mocha was about 9 months old and 55 lbs and Smeagol took off running and Mocha of course followed. But he stopped and Mocha ran straight over him. She didn't step on him but knocked him down pretty good. He got up and took a few steps then plopped down again and wouldn't get back up. I called Mocha and my bf went to get Smeagol he wouldn't get up and walk and when he tried he stumbled and fell over. Scared us to death we ran him to the emergency vet, luckily after a few minutes at the vet office he started walking and acting normal. The vet couldn't find anything wrong but gave us some anti-inflamitory drugs incase of a sprain or brusing.

We didn't have a choice in our combination of dogs Mocha is mine and Smeagol is my boyfriends and we had them when we met. We both love them both though and make it work. For their safety though they are never on the floor together without intence supervision.

For your case I would start out very slow with short session. Keep the little ones on the couch or hold them and keep Koda on leash teach leave it or no visit to Koda when you don't want him messing with the other dogs. Mostly just be careful a 60 lb dog can easily unintentionally hurt or kill a little 6 lb dog. As far as the little ones not being afraid of Koda it will take time with no tramatic experiences. Only take Koda there when he's worn out after play when he's not so rambuncious may help. The more he's around them the more likely he is to leave them alone some time.

Mocha and Smeagol are getting better together but it's a long road. We've lived together for 9 months now and we are far from leaving them alone even for a minute.

Lucky and RJ have only been with each other and they have never spent time with a bigger dog before. i guess it was a bad idea on my part to try to introduce Lucky and RJ right after Koda spent a couple hours in his crate. he gets so energetic when i let him out so i guess that another reason he was playing roughly with them. thanks for the advice guys.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

No great advice, but a thought: perhaps do Koda and Lucky alone; then Koda and RJ alone?

Zoe's been with smaller dogs since 4 months old (at puppy kindergarten). Chihuahua, little itty bitty terriers, dachsund pups. The trainer pretty much let the small dogs play first, then the larger ones, but later on, they all learned to play nicely.

Now Zoe has a pom/papillon mix, a yorkie and a mini pincher as pals.

Hope you have success in getting all 3 pups together.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

so eventually they will learn to play together safely?

debjen is offline Senior Member

I have an 8 year old 95 pound lab and a 6 month old Cavalier King Charles puppy who is about 12 pounds right now and will only be 15-18 pounds full grown. I let things go unless things get to frenzied then the puppy has nap time in his crate (tho it's not always his fault things get frenzied). Of course they are never left unsupervised together if I can't watch puppy is in his crate.

I think in time they will learn to be nice around each other but it takes patients and close supervision. If Smeagol was 15 lbs I wouldn't worry as much but he is so fragil and I would hate to see him hurt again. Mocha's fine with dogs around 18lbs or so she's been around. Smeagol also gets scared and will freeze which is when he gets hurt because he dosn't get out of the way when Mocha starts to get excited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast