TICK!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TICK!!!

DefaultTICK!!!

Help...I probably shouldput this in Health but...what's the best to get a tick off???
    I hust found one on Beau & the vet is already closed!!!!

HELP!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: TICK!!!

a tick remove tool - or tweezers or drown the sucker in hydrogen peroxide to kill it then use anything you can to get it off, but make sure you get it all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

should I try to take it off now...or take him to the vet first thing in the morning???

I would try to take it off now. Grab the tweezer and make sure you get it all.

When I found one on my girl last summer.. I freaked! *I got online and searched the best way to get it off. *I got my tweezers and pulled it out. *The head came out and everything. *If I were you, I would try to pull it. *Trust me... you're not the first person, or the last, to find a tick on your pooch. *I think the sooner the better. *Go for it!

Grab the tick right next to the skin and slowly pull it out but make sure you get it all. Since we just went camping we've pulled about 10 ticks total off the dogs and US!!! Yes...gross but they're out in full force here in NJ!!!! :-\

How do you know if you got it all & if not what happens?...it was very difficult to get out and I don't see anything but how can I be sure???* My last lab never got a tick!!!

I will take Beau to the vet in the morning anyway!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I don't know how late I am in responding to this, but don't panic! If you didn't get it all don't freak out. I got a tick a couple of summers ago under my arm, where I couldn't get to it myself. I had to get my husband to help. Instead of coaxing it out gently, he grabbed it and YANK! Left the head in : Not the end of the world. But to give you some idea of how anal retentive I can be, I took the remainder of the tick to a local entomologist to have it typed. LOL! That was actually a fascinating field trip.

Of course it's better to get the head. They will continue to excrete saliva even after the body is gone, so if they are carrying a disease that would be bad. But think how many hundreds of thousands of people (and dogs) are bitten by ticks with no ill effects!

If you're not sure if you got the head or not, do you have a magnifying glass?

A tip I read somewhere (for future reference) is to soak the tick with a cotton ball doused in alcohol first. This seemed to work well on one I took off Angus last year. Also, grab as close to the head as you can and pull straight out, gently.

I'm sure all will be fine! No worries!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Ugghhh I cant stand them. Hubby always has to get them off. We keep the frontline on the dogs year around and spray the yard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast