limber tail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limber tail

Defaultlimber tail

Murray has his first case of limber tail.

He swam for about an hr yesterday. He swims all year long since AZ winters are very mild. I don't know what was different about yesterday's session that would have caused this. My daughter has been swimming with the dogs for the past couple of weeks so I know the water wasn't THAT cold. (I say BRRR but she says it was nice).

Murray was very uncomfortable this morning. He would not tolerate Essy anywhere near him. When she tried to initiate bitey face, he started a low, throaty growl and curled his lips at her, very uncharacteristic of him. He was definitely telling her to back off so I called her away from him.

Anyway, I see that the recommended course of action is to give antiinflamatory meds. Murray is on Prednisone so I think that will cover the antiinflamatories. He had a dose this morning so I'm anxious to get home and see how he is doing.

Do I just rest Murray until this goes away (I've read it can take several days to a couple of weeks)? We have agility training on Wed and I'm trying to figure out if we should go or not. I haven't found any info on whether the dog should just rest or continue on with their normal routine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: limber tail

Murph has had this a couple of times. I rest him for a few days and he is normally ok. Last time it only took 2 days to heal up completely.

I wouldn't bother taking Murray to the vets. Of all the vets I have spoken to, NONE have heard of this condition. You are best giving him the anti-inflamatory meds and let him rest up. If you are lucky he will be okay by wednesday.

Beau has never experienced this as we do not live close to water but best wishes for a speedy recovery!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wes has had it here and there -- it's pretty common around these parts at this time of year. Air temps can go 50s-60s, leading them to WANT to swim, but water temps can still be running 30s-40s. Brrrrrrrrr!

Wesley was pretty miserable for a handful of days. Depending on Murray's behavior, I'd re-think that Agility training for Wed. When Wes has limber tail, he doesn't want to do much other than lie around the house and stare at us pathetically until we shower him with even more treats than usual!

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    When Wes has limber tail, he doesn't want to do much other than lie around the house and stare at us pathetically until we shower him with even more treats than usual!*
    Ha! That describes Murray to a T.

I'll just play it by ear. Wed's class is 3 full days away so hopefully he'll be feeling much better by then. If not, we'll skip training this week.

bibber is offline Senior Member

I fostered a lab who got limber tail. She just hung her tail straight down and would not move it. It got a little better each day, and I think it was all better in about 5 days.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Magnum has had "cold tail" twice. Both times took about 3 days to get better. I don't really think it has much to do with cold water. She just really swam hard both those times and I think "sprained" her tail.

Belle's had it a few times, and it did take 3-5 days to clear up. Asprin helped. The first time had nothing to do with swimming, and she was doing puppy wind-ups (butt tucks) for several hours in a row. That time, she was miserable for over a week!

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Hopefully it will be better by Wed. *If not, I would skip this weeks class. *Buddy was miserable when he had it. *Anything that caused him to move the tail was just too much for him.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Poor Murray. He'll get better soon!

Dexter gets this every spring on his first big trip to the lake. It only takes him a couple of days to recover but the poor thing looks so pathetic when he tries to wag his tail. A couple people have said you can put a warm compress on the tail base to help, but Dexter would never sit still long enough for me to try. My cure-all is buffered aspirin and as many treats as are necessary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast