Update on Cole's Ears (XPosted from Health)

Thread: Update on Cole's Ears (XPosted from Health)

Labmum1 Guest

DefaultUpdate on Cole's Ears (XPosted from Health)

I wanted to post in both places since the original spot I posted this was in Lab Chat, but I could see there are some people in Health dealing with ear issues, & I didn't want anyone to miss the update.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As some of you know Cole has had chronic ear infections for the better part of a year. The liquid that was in them is very similar to what Iago describes in his Otitis thread.

Anyway...I noticed recently (in retrospect) that his ears became especially bad after Diamond changed the recipe for the Kirkland Lamb & Rice food sold at Costco. Cole's been eating that food for almost 4 years. Everytime I'd get his ears cleared up, with a combonation of a Panalog/conofite liquid squirted 2x day into the ears PLUS taking Ketoconazole and Cephalexin with his meals, they would get bad again within 3 weeks. It was pretty frustrating.

Anyway, the vet and I decided on a 21-day course of the antibiotics followed with a squirt of the Panalog/Conofite once a week. I also changed his diet to the ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. Salmon is a novel protein for Cole, so I thought it was a good choice.

Anyway, it has been a little over a month since his ears were treated and we just started his second bag of the ProPlan SS&S...and his ears are terrific. No junk in them whatsoever. Even Belle, who wasn't having ear problems, but I noticed her ears were oilier after the Kirkland recipe change, her ears have become drier.

I think it is safe to say we licked this sucker! Hopefully this will help anyone else dealing with a similar issue. Treating ear issues is one expensive PITA. I was spending $70 every two months for meds!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Cole's Ears (XPosted from Health)

That's great that Cole found some relief. (Maybe your wallet will get some relief too.) When Mitzi's ears were bad last year, I tried pro Plan S&SS, but she got worse on it - back to Diamond L&R. A few months ago she started getting runny poo on the Diamond L&R and I changed to Eagle Pack L&R and she has been doing well on it so far through 2 bags.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Cole's Ears (XPosted from Health)

I switched Zoey to the same food. It has been a month today and no ear issues. So I hope we beat it also.

Rebecca