my turn for lab strays

Thread: my turn for lab strays

Defaultmy turn for lab strays

This morning we had a chocolate lab show up on our front porch...Cali looks obese compaired to this dog. SU didn't like me taking him in so we put him in the neighbors fence (it's an empty house for sale) I gave hims some food since all he has in the hind quarters is skin & bones. He gobbled up the food & water. I had to wait until 8:30 to call the county animal control but they won't tell me what time the officer will come get him. We are calling him snoopy since he's always wagging his tail. he has some gray around the muzzle.

once the severe thunderstorm warnings with hail likely hit our area, SU let me put him in our garage - which he almost got in our house. I almost had to shut the door on his nose before he came into Cali or the kids but he finally back down. His fur is such a mess, I'm afraid of what he might have so I might have to put him back in the fence after the storms pass in case he has to go potty I don't want it in my garage.

I can't keep him locked up much longer I may have to set him back free if the animal controls don't come for him soon. Any ideas....it kills me to do that but I feed him and watered him and gave him shelter from a MAJOR thunderstorm but I can't hold him- SU will get even more mad at me. He has a collar but not ids.

Poor guy is crying in my garage now....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: my turn for lab strays

Where are you located? Is there a lab rescue organization nearby? If he has a collar, it sounds like someone may be missing him, though the fact that he's so thin may mean that they've been missing him for quite some time. Have you thought about putting up signs? called vet offices?

I know it's really difficult and you've done a lot for him already. He's pretty lucky he found you. But if there's any way you can avoid turning him back loose, I'd recommend that, it sounds like he really needs help. Do you maybe have friends with a yard or garage he can be in instead? Will the neighbors empty yard work for another couple days while you can work something out? Just to try to buy a little time, not to cause any major problems.

Good for you for trying to help.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

I never thought of a vet, but SU won't let me take him in our car. I'll call and see if they can help at all. They are only a couple miles down the road.

The last thing I want to do is let him go but SU will really start getting upset with me if this dog stays more then a day.

He feels bad too but says I can't help them all - not all, just this one but he doesn't see it that way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I finally got (her) out of my garage...she pee'd outside then I got her back into the fenced yard next door. She's afraid of thunder, was shaking so bad. That's why I couldn't get her out of my garage for a little bit after the storms ended. They were pretty nasty & loud storms so at least I gave her shelter, although now SU isn't happy the garage smells, :-\ Live with it.

I finally got the town animal control to say they'd come get it even though I'm not in town limits. Thankfully since now the sun is out after the storms and it's going to get warmer. She's got a bowl of water until they show up but she's all skin & bones and wobbly on the back legs and just wags her tail at me. As much as I can see the love in her eyes I can't bring myself to get past what she might have and I can't pet & love her like I'd like to. I have to think of my kids & Cali first so I know I did my share and I feel bad for this girl that she's been cheated out of a nice life. So if everyone could just give well thoughts for this girl onto her next journey were ever that might be. I guess my name of snoopy as I named her didnt' fit so I called her snoopette last time I was over in the yard.