New owner with a million questions!!!

Thread: New owner with a million questions!!!

DefaultNew owner with a million questions!!!

Hey everyone!!! Just got my yellow lab Chance a week ago who just turned 10 weeks today. HE IS A HAND FULL!!!! Since we got him he has got a lot better about going outside which I am pretty surprised by but, when it comes to trying to teach him other things, he just doesn't seem to get it. After reading some post off this site i feel my pup is kinda behind in learning the basic commands. In two weeks he is going to start "Puppy I" training. Does anyone think he is a little behind??? I have tried to teach him stuff but he is so hyper and all he wants to do is bit and chew everything. Hyper, chewing and "talking back" at you, normal for a 10 week old pup??? I have been using that Bitter Apple spray for the bitting and it has seemed to work a little over the first week with him. Anyone else use Bitter Apple????
    Before I start writing a novel about all the questions i have, there is one more thing. I feel with all the "No bite" "No Chance this" and "No Chance that," that I am making

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New owner with a million questions!!!

Congrats on the new pup! Yes they are a handful for the first few months (well ok, first few years probably ;D) but things will get better.

Do not worry about your pup being behind. People adopt full grown dogs w/out any obedience training and can still teach them to be good mannered pets. The obedience class you are going to will help you tremendously and will most likely start with the basic sit, down, stay, ect anyways, so don't feel like your puppy needs to know anything before hand.

Paula is offline Senior Member

He sounds like a typical puppy to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congratulations on your new puppy.

Puppies have very short attention spans. They are like little babies. Patience, consistence and repetition. Soon your puppy will know who to look up to.

Puppy kindergarten is great. They don't teach your puppy; they teach you how to teach your puppy. : )

Good luck, welcome and hope to see pics soon.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

How exciting!!!
    when he bites you can firmly say no, and then give him a chew toy and when he starts chewing on it make a big fuss about it.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new puppy. Abby just turned 12 weeks & I feel the same. No chew, no bite etc.!!!!
    I would just be consistent with your training but 10 weeks is very young. At this age their attention spans are extremely short, so I would be concerned. We didn't pup Molly in a puppy class until she was 16 weeks old & had all her shots. So your pup is not behind at all.
    Sounds like a normal lab puppy.*

Congrats on your new baby. They grow so fast enjoy this time. Im still working with Bear at 5 months. He will catch on.

Heres the problem with the "no bit" saying........once i tell him that he gets down on his front paws and his wiggling butt in the air and BARKS back at you!!! That when i was the bitter apple and then give him a toy once he cools down. You guys get that kind of talking back???

Welcome! If you stop over in the puppies/training section, you'll see many are dealing with the normal puppy stuff you are

What are you doing with the bitter apple? I hope you're not spraying it at him or in his mouth...

One thing that you can do before you try to teach him something is take him for a walk that way he will be tired out when you go to teach him something his brain may be more apt to learn it if he is tired out...see if that works.