Recommendations for breeders in PA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for breeders in PA

DefaultRecommendations for breeders in PA

Hi everyone, happy Sunday to you all. Just wondering if anyone has personal experience with a good breeder in PA? I would greatly appreciate all responses. We are looking for a black female to add to our family either late spring or summer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2LabsInNEPA Guest

DefaultRe: Recommendations for breeders in PA

Where in PA? I'm in the northeast and am a big fan of Candyheart Retrievers. We adopted our Charlie from them and a woman who works at our College just got a beautiful Chocolate male puppy from them last Friday.

http://www.candyheartretrievers.com/

We live in Lancaster County. Not sure what that's considered, probably South Central.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2LabsInNEPA Guest

I know the area well - I'm originally from Easton. We live just north of Scranton now. Candyheart is east of Scranton just off I84.

My problem with the above mentioned site is that they don't seem to do anything with their dogs except breed them... A breeder should be involved in the breed and prove their dogs at shows, trials, tests, etc...

Check out the link Labby posted on your previous topic, there are a number of good breeders in Penn.

I did check out that site, which is a great site, but was overwhelmed with the number of breeders on the list so I was looking for personal experiences from the people in this forum. I have been in touch through email with Ivy Springs and Pembroke (which isn't on the list) but still haven't run into anyone who adopted one of their pups to get a personal opinion on them.

I'm not from your area...I'm in western PA (north of Pgh). *I'll tell you of our experience; maybe it'll help in your search.

We set out not to look for a puppy, but a reputable breeder. *We were looking at breeders in NY and OH. *But then I found the Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Club. *Through that, I found echo-labradors. *On their website, one of their dogs had recently sired a litter; they listed the contact for the other breeder (KingsCourt Labs). *We saw the sire's picture (Dylan), and read his pedigree (lots of Poolstead labs in his pedigree; lots of CH in the females pedigree too. I didn't know much about pedigrees at that time, and that wasn't really important to us..we're not interested in showing, but it might help in having a nice-looking dog?). *We contacted KingsCourt, which just happened to be not far from us, and went to look at the puppies. *The mother and g.mother of the litter were there (they met us at the door). *:-) *We watched and played with them first, to get an idea of *temperament. *Then we went to see and play with the puppies.

I can only tell you that, for us, searching this way was the best thing we could've done. *Our yellow lab is 1 year old..you can see pictures of him under "Photo Album"...'My favorite pictures of Tucker'. *I think he's a good-looking lab, but beyond that, he's sooo calm, wonderful temperament, very smart...everything we wanted in a lab. *

The breeder (KingsCourt) is a very good, responsible breeder. *The parents have health clearances, we have health guarantees, if anything would ever happen (which it won't), she will take Tucker back anytime in his lifetime, and she was always available for questions or advice (we still keep in touch frequently). *

We didn't see the sire in person, but we met his owner; she came the night we were there, and talked to us about her dog *(They're very active in their lab club in various areas). We just had a great experience with these breeders!

Good luck with your search!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I do know one breeder in PA that I would never go to again and would absolutely never ever recommend them to anyone, but would also never post their name in public like this. If you would like to know my Libby's story, please PM me.

Monty came from a wonderful, reputable breeder in NY if you are interested in going in that direction. She searched for a couple of years for a sire to Monty's litter who would compliment his mom and finally saw him in person (he was from across the country) at the big Potomac lab show. This is routine- She's already been doing research for the past couple years for the next boy to breed one of her other females to. Any reputable breeder should really be focused in on improving their lines, rather than just picking the closest "pretty face" to breed their girl to.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

If the previous post concerning breeders choosing "the closest prettiest face" was in reference to my post... both breeders have dogs from good lines, and strive to maintain the lab standard in looks and temperament. They're concerned with the over-breeding of labs in the past several years, with no concern for breed standard. The fact that they don't live far from each other wasn't a problem for us. I was just relating our experience to possibly help in dreamer's search.

And if I erred in naming the breeders, my apologies.

Thanks everyone and please PM me if you have a recommendation or a breeder to stay away from if you feel better about that. I'll take all the information I can gather so keep em coming. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast