All you Hawaii people

Thread: All you Hawaii people

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultAll you Hawaii people

Quote Originally Posted by daisyandwikismom
    Well it's the other hawaii person here! (how did you end up in texas?) ;D
    Figured I might as well catch you all at one time. How did I end up in TX? By telling jokes like this in Oahu ...

Mano and Mary (both portagese) worked at the Dole Cannery for years. Every night when they pau hana they would stop at Julio's bar in Kalihi on their way home. They never missed a week night, not in once over 20 years.

One day they stopped coming in. Two weeks later Julio figured that it couldn't be a vacation and something must be wrong. He drove over by the cannery, parked his chebbie and watched for Mano and Mary. Sure enough, a little after 3:30 p.m. when the shift was over, out they came together. Julio followed them several blocks and watched as they started to go into another bar. He was hurt and shocked at the same time. He quickly ran up along side them and said: Hey Mano! Where you stay, Brah? I figure maybe you folks stay maki (Hawaiian for dead) already or li dat. How come you never wen come back by my place?"

A sheepish Mano began explaining. "Ho geez Julio, Mary an I find one new bar and da buggah stay terrific, yeah?" When you go in da place you go for write you name on one piece paypah den for put dat paypah in one big fishbowl. At da end of da night get one drawing. Whoever name get pulled from da fishbowl gets to go upstairs and have sex ... for free! For real"

A very surprised Julio asked ... "What Mano ... you ever win"?

Mano replied ... "Nah, I never stay lucky li dat but you know what? Mary, dat lucky buggah, three times now dey when pull her name!"

:
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: All you Hawaii people

;D Jim.

"li dat" love it. (besides "tude" I was also the pidgin queen of our high school group) LOL
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

So you're saying you left Hawaii because you tell such bad jokes! Nah nah nah only joke!
    Are you actually from here or just your wife? What brought you to Hawaii?
    I've been here since '70, an x military brat, never could leave!. Although that could change once my husband retires. A little too expensive to live here as a retired folk

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So you're saying you left Hawaii because you tell such bad jokes! Nah nah nah only joke!
    Are you actually from here or just your wife? What brought you to Hawaii?
    I've been here since '70, an x military brat, never could leave!. Although that could change once my husband retires. A little too expensive to live here as a retired folk
    I started a business in1977 known as Hawaii Pipe & Supply. It was located on Sand Island Road just makai of Nimitz. It quickly grew to become the largest wholesale plumbing and industrial piping supply company in the Pacific. I had a partner from the mainland and we were both shareholders of the parent company, Familian Northwest. It was acquired in 1988 by a British company, Wolseley. I stayed on for 3 years under a management contract and then retired in 1991 at age 49.

My wife Carol was born and raised there. She was girl Friday when I first started the company and of the 150 employees I had, she was one of the few who grew right along with the company, becoming our chief financial officer eventually. Carol went through a divorce in the mid 80s. I did also a few years later. I guess we had just come to know and respect each other so well professionally that a personal relationship was easy to establish.

When I retired we moved to Las Vegas because Carol's then 12 year old adopted daughter need special education that was just not available in Oahu. We thought we'd be on the mainland for 3-7 years while the daughter was going to high school and college. 7 years later she was out of school and had no desire at all to return to Hawaii. Carol and I started a small mortgage company to keep us busy and it grew into something a little larger than we had intended and we were soon back into the 60 hour + work weeks.

When we decided to finally retire for good in 2004, a search found the area we live in now where land prices were very cheap, construction costs 1/2 of Las Vegas, and an area where shopping and medical facilities are outstanding less than 45 minutes away. We are 75 miles north of the DFW airport and only 35 miles from very good shopping in larger cities. A small town for the day-to-day needs is just 7-1/2 miles from us. We have lots of recreational areas all around but most of what we're interested in is right here on our 132 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    ;D Jim.

"li dat" love it. (besides "tude" I was also the pidgin queen of our high school group) LOL
    I was there 15 years, and have been gone 15 years. I had over 100 local folks in my business so I hear and learned to use pidgin very quickly. In addition, I owned a charterboat "SeaHawk" (that's still in service there out of Kewalo Basin) and when you communicate via CH 23 CB while on the water, you better be able to talk da kine or da locals stay no talk wit you!

That reminds me of one of my favorite portagee fishermen stories. This may or may not make sense to you.

"Break 23 ... Mano, where you Stay Brah, you catchin plenty da kine??"

"Mano back ... Julio, we stay maybe 5 outside Makapuu, but I nevah like say on da radio."

"Ok brah, I know you scoopin em so lets take it up to our secret channel 30."

8) :
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Love the pics too! Great shot of Jay, Cappy & Remi. He (Jay) is so adorable!

Gosh, everytime I look at your property, I let out a heavy "that's so awesome" sigh. Your property and home probably cost less than what we paid for a property that's the size of a football field (most of which is unusable) and a house.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like life has been good to you! Beautiful property, beautiful dogs, well stocked pond out your front door and a very handsome grandson! What more could you ask for?* Does your grandson live in Texas also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX
    * This may or may not make sense to you.
    Yup, lost me on this one

Sounds like life has been good to you! What more could you ask for?*
    Yup, lost me on this one
    Yes, life has been good.

I've worked very hard and have been very lucky. But I noticed something along the way ... the harder I worked the luckier I got.

Spose there's something to that?