Went to a great new class tonight

Thread: Went to a great new class tonight

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultWent to a great new class tonight

As some of you know I'm still having problems with Moose on leash. He stays in heel, but he still lunges to greet. Thankfully he doesn't pull anymore, only when he wants to greet another dog. I mentioned this to the doggie daycare owner and turns out she teaches a free class on Saturdays for dogs with leash issues. So this was perfect. She is having me heel with Moose what seems like almost behind me which allows me much more time to correct and it puts Moose in his pack position. We work on lots of figure 8's and distraction. She has one dog go into a down and then has everyone cirlcle in heel into a tight circle around the down dog. Again working on distractions. Moose did great and I really noticed an increase in his focus on me. Now if I can just keep it up during our run/walks this week. She did say that running with him in that position is actually easier so we will see. Anyway, just wanted to share.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Went to a great new class tonight

Yay!! Glad to hear this class is helping! Good luck with Moose this week!!

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great class. Good luck.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's great (and free!). Let us know how Moose does in "real life" situations.

zgirls is offline Senior Member

sounds like a great class.
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

Sharon was it you that was dragged by Moose 'cause he saw another dog? If it isn't disregard, but if it was you what kind of collar does the instructor have you use? I know there was a lot of people recommending different types of collars. Did you try any of those?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Karen - both of my dogs were on prongs when they pulled me across the street.* It was done so quickly that I lost any slack to do a correction.* It also shocked me so much that I was lost for words.* That bothers me the most.* Both of my dogs know the "halt" command and I do think if I had used it they would have at least slowed enough for me to get control.* Bottom line I just cannot let Moose lock looks with another dog - particularly one that isn't friendly.* That is one of the things that the instructor has us watching for as we work with the dogs.* Most of the dogs in this class have leash aggression issues so I really have to work with Moose to watch me.* Fortunately Moose doesn't have an ounce of aggression thankfully.

Also I talked to several other dog owners that we see on our walk and this particular dog really brings the worst out of there dogs. 2 of the labs that we see most who are the sweetest labs I've ever met will growl and raise their hackles if they approach on the same side of the street. So there must be something in the look or the way this dog carries himself. I'm just not sure what Moose was thinking he was going to do.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad the class is working. My problem is my 2 just aren't trained. If my su and I walk them no problem but me + 2 no way. I would like to try another collar maybe the easy walk, however I know what I really need to do is more training. :-\

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Cesar would be proud. LOL!

I really can't imagine convincing Angus that his position is *behind* me. : Moose sounds like he's doing great to me. I'll trade you a yellow for a chocolate.

Seriously, the class sounds great. Maybe all it will take is just repeated exposure to distractions. We are not strict enough on our walks, I think. I can keep Angus in heel in class without a problem, but enforcing it on a walk is another story. I applaud you for being consistent!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever