Digging

Thread: Digging

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDigging

Hi all!

I am hoping someone can perhaps provide some words of wisdom regarding digging.

Lexi will, every now & again, decided to dig in my yard. The first time she did it was in the fall, but then it got cold & the ground froze, so she really couldn't dig.

Now that it is warming, the ground is thawing & the digging has resumed. So far thankfully it is just one hole, but Friday morning I looked out the back window to find her going to town on this hole. I yelled at her & she looked at me with a nose full of dirt.

Any suggestions on how to stop her from doing this?

Thanks.
    Deb

My pretty girl, Lexi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Digging

I remember reading a post like this once before. Here were some of the suggestions - put Tabasco sauce in the hole, fill the hole with water.... and then the choice of always watching your dog when she is outside. I'm sure someone will have a few more tips. My girls will dig every once in awhile. They don't do it enough for it to really make a difference in my yard. You may want to do a search on google as well. Good luck.

We went to a resturant supply store and bought the industrial size of cayenne pepper and we fill the hole and top it with a good shake of it.* Cinnamon may dig in another spot but stays away from the area we filled.* We do allow her to dig in the side yard so she is learning to work on her escape to China hole there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

Ruffy stopped digging in his yard . . . for Nothing . . .
    when he discovered the joys of digging . . . for Something . . .

Moles!

There are mole holes scattered in the ditches along the places we take our walks (I live in a semi-rural area).* We stop, I say, "Ruffy, Dig!" and he chooses his hole.*

It's a joy to watch him . . . tail & butt straight up . . . head buried in his hole . . . he absolutely adores it.* As long as he gets to dig on his walks, he doesn't dig in his yard at all.*

A dog's gotta dig!* It's one of the 7 things they do.

Good luck with your sweet Lexi.*
    I hope you find a solution that works for the 2 of you.*

Dawn is offline Senior Member

Bodie loves to dig, too. Usually he starts to after we've been doing a lot of fetching and he's sick of it. He'll start digging like crazy and drops the ball in the hole and digs, digs, digs all around it. Eventually he usually ends up lying on his side with his tongue hanging out, still digging, till he's ready to fetch again. Then he grabs the ball and runs back to us with it. It's pretty funny really -- as long as we're at the beach or in the woods, and he's not on the lawn!

Paula is offline Senior Member

You know it's not the digging that bothers me so much, but my dogs like to eat the dirt. I put the cayenne pepper, have some fresh one out there now, but some of my dogs like it. :P But at least most don't.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I placed a bag w/her poop wherever she dug.
    She detests the smell of dog poop.

Some people say to bury the poop in the holes. I didn't go that route.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Koko Liked the cayenne so I put nutmeg that did the trick, we also tell her to dig in the sandbox, my 7 year old is covered in sand but laughs so hard as Koko is digging her way to china!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If she's just digging inone place, I would let her have fun and take her picture with a dirty nose.

Digging is a sign of a bored, unsupervised dog Up the exercise and you should see a decrease in the digging.