Advice for a potential puppy buyer

Thread: Advice for a potential puppy buyer

DefaultAdvice for a potential puppy buyer

Hi everyone. I'm new here and have been researching for about two months in preperation for getting a black lab. We were definately heading in the direction of purebred but went to look at a litter of black lab/golden retriever mix puppies and now we are confused. We met the mom of the litter and she was a wonderful dog. very gentle and didn't get overly protective when we handled the pups. The pups appeared clean and friendly, active but not hyper. So my question.... is there a reason to be hesitant about this mix? I would love to hear your opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Advice for a potential puppy buyer

I'm going to let the experts here answer your question but I'll give you my experience. When my son was 14 we got our first dog; half lab, half golden. She was basically a give up advertised in the newspaper. We got her at about 3 months. She was the smartest and most obdient dog I've ever owned. I could not have asked for more. She was also extremely healthy. I'm now on my third dog-second full lab. They were both rescues, neither as smart or healthy as the first but I adore each one and would not change a thing.

Welcome!

There are a number of reason I, personally, would pass on these puppies....Why was the litter bred? There are so many dogs out there, we don't need to breed mutts. It was more than likely an oops litter=irresponable owner. Labs and goldens have very similar health issues...were the parents cleared for anything? You'd want to see OFA hips and elbows, heart and eye clearances at the least.

What are your plans for this pup? If you want to do any competitive activities (hunt tests, agility, obedience, etc), you'll want a purebred dog.

All puppies are cute. Don't let that blindside you if it's not something you really want

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I would also pass the mixed litter. Whether the litter was bred intentionally or unintentionally, it points to an irresponsible breeder. Most likely, you won't see/hear anything from this person once you get the puppy. A responsible breeder will be available for you to ask questions and help with raising your dog for the dog's life. It is invaluable to have a breeder as part of your "team."

A reputable breeder will give you health guarantees for your puppy for some of the known genetic diseases of the breed (for example, hip dysplasia). I doubt the breeder of the mixed litter will do any such thing.

Also, you might now think that you don't want to do any competitive things with your dog (I was like that when I bought my puppy). But in a couple of months you might get the competitive bug and will need AKC registration to compete in AKC sanctioned events.

All in all, there are people on this forum who can point you in the direction of a reputable breed to buy your puppy from. Let us know where you are.

Thank you for the responses. I think we will pass on these puppies. They were extremely cute but I wasn't able to see the father or know what kind of temperment he had. We are just looking for a good looking puppy that is healthy and has a sweet, gentle temperment. We live in Lancaster County (puppy mill country) which makes finding a good breeder challenging. Does anyone suggest a good breeder in PA?

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I would say that if they are asking for money for those puppies (they can't have been a planned litter, can they?), your money would be much better spent on a rescue.

A mixed-breed, especially one between two breeds so prone to health problems, is definitely not considered to be healthier. Many times, you have actually doubled up on the orthopedic problems each breed carries, like hip or elbow dysplasia. So much for James Herriot's "Hybrid Vigor" theory...not true at all.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thank you for all the advice and the awesome link. I'm going to start a new topic about personal experience with breeders in PA, if you've had any please post a response.

2LabsInNEPA Guest

See my post about Candyheart Retrievers in the other post.