To boost playfulness??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To boost playfulness??

lunamus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTo boost playfulness??

Weird title I know.. but I dont know what else to write

Luna will be 3 years on on april 5. but is acting like a 10 year old. Most of it is probablely my fault. I havent played as much with her as I could/should.

Luna is my first dog. So I guess we are both learning..

But I was wondering, if there's something I can do to"teach" her to play?

Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To boost playfulness??

My mom's dog Apollo definitely calmed down after the first two years of puppyness. He's not big on playing unless there is another dog around and even then we all think he's a little tired of Ender. Perhaps Luna is just a more laid back pup?

Personally I think Apollo "learned" to be laid back because duing his puppyhood my mom went through congestive heart failure and was in the hospital. It was just a very somber time and he learned to be there for her and for my little brother as more of a quiet rock of strength. Now that mom is feeling much better part of her was really enjoying Ender's playful exuberant behavior (in comparison to apollo) but I think she's ready to have just Apollo again so it's good timing all around.
    ~Lindsay

Luna could be a laid back dog

So basically I need me another puppy

Well I gotta move first then, cause I'm only allowed one pet where I live (the cat is living "undercover" ;D)

She just doesnt "seem" happy..
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Personally I think Apollo "learned" to be laid back because duing his puppyhood my mom went through congestive heart failure and was in the hospital.* It was just a very somber time and he learned to be there for her and for my little brother as more of a quiet rock of strength.*
    It's interesting, Sami's trainer would agree w/ you. Her theory is that dogs that are around action constantly (for instance, a dog that goes to day care every day), come to need or demand action all the time.

My Mocha was never as playful as Beau is (also maybe due to me). *My work schedule when she was young was very long and hectic...& I also seemed to have much more going on and didn't take as much time to just play as I should have... :-[ *But she was very laid back...I don't think she ever barked at anyone til she was about 6-7

I used to romp with her in the yard...I could eventually get her all excited to the point she would be running in big circles. *Does Luna have any toys like bouncy balls or squeakies that is really likes??? *If so maybe try to even just sit on the floor and play with those toys with her.* Maybe just some real one on one time would help.

She may, as Ender's mom said just be very laid back. *

:-*from Beau to Luna

Luna has some squeaky toys yes, and she will play with them. Yeah I'll try some one on one time with her

As I work full time I'm away from home quite a few hours everyday, so a bit like with your Mocha.

I spend all my time when home with Luna. I wont go anywhere if she cant come along

She's not a "throw a ball all day" kinda dog... A stick is okay to run after once, but better to chew on

And Luna says thank you to Beau

And I think it makes perfect sense and that this is another labrador asset (sp?) that they adapt to the situation in the family they become a part of

They definitely do.....and quickly!!

I just got Beau a squeaky "hedgehog"...it kind of grunts and squeaks..he loves it...but he does love me on the floor playing more...I think it is because he can sit on my lap while we play (sort of on my lap) he is getting a bit too big....but I can't tell him that!!

With the love you have for Luna I am sure she is happy!!!

Have you tried taking Luna to a dog park, or even just a local park where she can run around? I find with my dog that if I set aside a special playtime that we go to the park to play, and I am actively involved in her play (she loves tennis balls), then she anticipates it more. Maybe just getting Luna into a new environment will entice her

Well we havent been to an actual dogpark. We meet dogs on our walks, and she says hi, but rarely plays with them.

We meet up regularly with a friend of mine, who has a black lab bitch, called Trunte. Trunte and Luna will run back and forth, do a bit of bitey face, but mostly just run and sniff.. not really playing

Usually Luna's not good if there's more than 2 dogs. Then she tends to back out and come to me and the other humans for a cuddle instead..

Which I dont really understand, cause when she was a pup, we met a bunch of other pups and the pups were playing for an hour or more, every evening.

But I will try some dogparks now where its getting a bit better weather.. Now just to let my dad let go of his car

I cant afford my own (they are pretty expenssive here in Denmark along with the insurance)

Thank you for the suggestion.

keep them coming..

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Usually Luna's not good if there's more than 2 dogs. Then she tends to back out and come to me and the other humans for a cuddle instead..
    this is how luke is. he is also my calm and laid back boy. taylor brings out the playfulness in him, and he also likes certain toys and loves to retrieve, but mostly he loves to get petted and simply be near people. i tend to think that a calm and relaxed dog is a happier dog than one prone to hyperactivity and over excitement. i bet luna is a very happy dog.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast