Rare Polar White Labs $800?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare Polar White Labs $800?

Mom2Meleah Guest

DefaultRare Polar White Labs $800?

I know I just made someone very mad, but I am so sick of seeing people breed animals they have no business doing so and then try to market them up into something "rare" and worth extra money.

I found this on myspace in the classified section:

akc polar lab's for sale. Champion blood line...
    you can see photo's and veiw all info about them on dallasnews.com go to classifed, and click on pet and live stock , then click on dog's and go to seach , type in akc polar labs and there is a photo of moma wearing a red band dana around her neck and on that site will give you info and photo of the mother..
    I couldn't stand it... this was my response.. I'm sure I'll get a nasty message, but I don't give a crap.

There is no such thing as Polar White Lab. True there are YELLOW Labs that are lighter in color than was it common.

I post this response because Labs are the #1 most overbred and EUTHANIZED dogs in America. I am tired of seeing people making a profit and then not giving a rats butt about the dog after it leaves their hands.

This person MAYBE responsible, but you should look more into bloodlines and health clearances rather than a "rare solar white Lab" for $800.

For $800 you can certainly purchase a Lab from a professional breeder that is not just out to make a quick buck.

NO I am not a breeder, my 3 Labs are spayed and neutered, so I have no interested in this ad other than to try to prevent others from support a potential back yard breeder who is doing the breed no favor by producing pups from animals who are not of high enough quality to breed from and contributing to the over population and murder of unwanted Labs.

WHAT A BREEDER SHOULD BE WILLING TO OFFER YOU (IN ADDITION TO A PUPPY)

Every breeder should have a breed standard on hand and they should be able to point out major, minor and disqualifying faults.

They should be aware of the major breed problems. Every breed has some. These are problems that occur in the breed with more or less frequency that all decent breeders try to eradicate. Labradors have problems with Hip Dysplasia (CHD), Elbow Dysplasia, Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) and to a lesser extent Epilepsy and Heart Disease.

The breeder should know their own pedigrees well. They should know the faults their own lines may carry. All lines have some faults. They should be willing to put in writing what they will do if your puppy develops any of these problems.

Just because a pair of dogs can breed and are pure bred does NOT mean they are of breeding quality!!

Ask for proof of any testing the breeder has claimed to have done. Ask to see the OFA papers to prove their dogs have been x-rayed free of Hip Dysplasia AND Elbow Dysplasia. If they do not have the OFA rating, they should still have proof from a veterinarian that their dogs have been x-rayed and found free of CHD and ED. Be aware that a majority of vets do not know what dysplastic hips actually look like on x-ray. What they may feel looks normal, the OFA would consider dysplastic. If they cannot produce these papers, (on both parents), do not buy the puppy. Do not be taken in with lines such as "my dog has never limped" or "my vet said it was unnecessary". If a breeder claims to never have bred a problem, either they haven't been breeding very long or are stretching the truth. EVERY breeder will produce a problem sooner or later, no matter how careful you are in planning a litter.

Also ask to see all certification that the parents have been checked within the last 12 months for PRA. A regular veterinarian cannot check for this, it must be done by a Canine Ophthalmologist (dog eye doctor). These veterinarians usually have the initials ACVO (American College of Veterinary Opthalmology) somewhere after their name. Again, if they cannot produce these papers (on both parents), do not buy the puppy. Breeding stock must be checked yearly for their eyes. Again, beware of excuses.

Ask for references such as past puppy buyers, other breeders, trainers, vets, breed club affiliations, etc. Then follow up on the references.

Beware of the hard sell breeder or the one who appears too willing to part with their puppies. Decisions to sell a puppy should not be made based on telephone conversations alone. A reputable breeder will be keen on interviewing you.

Breeders should provide some sort of written instructions on caring for your new puppy. Most will give you 48-72 hours to have the puppy checked by your own vet and if necessary return or exchange the pup.

Puppies should not be released to their new homes before 7 weeks of age and should have had their first set of vaccinations (Parvo/Distemper). If the puppy is older, vaccinations should be completely up to date.

To protect your rights, ensure that the sales contract indicates the breed of dog, that is is pure-bred and eligible for registration by the American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, United Kennel Club or which other registry the breeder is claiming.

Ask to see the contract/guarantee before you leave a deposit or purchase the puppy. Some guarantees/contracts give the puppy buyer the run-around and don't actually cover anything. Some make the puppy buyer put down/euthanize the dog before the breeder will pay off on even a case of mild dysplasia. READ THE CONTRACT THOROUGHLY

Ask to see the dam (mother) and the sire as well if he is on the premises. Beware of the breeder who either doesn't allow you to see the dam or says the dam is not there. This person might not be the actual breeder but someone who buys whole litters for resale.

For more information:

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

http://www.phouka.com/puppy/bdr_irres.html

http://www.iupui.edu/~ihls400/responsible_breeder.html

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/

http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/byb.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rare Polar White Labs $800?

good for you carrie. anytime you see "rare" and then a fancy name, it should be red flags

Laura

lunamus is offline Senior Member

Great response!

It ticks me off seeing things like that. White labs my butt
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful reply - let us know if you "hear from them".

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Wow you sure made your point loud and clear and if they don't reply, well, that pretty much tells you that you hit the nail on the head. Good Going!!!

great reply!! Make sure you let us know if they do respond, I would love to hear their response.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Great response Carrie! Yep, I'm sure you will get a nasty response back but to me that just means you've hit the nail with the truth hammer.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

That was awesome!!! Let us know if they reply back... maybe we can go over there en mass to knock some sense into them.
    ~Lindsay

Good for you!!! Do let us know if you get a response!!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

What a great response!!! Let us know if they get back to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast