Do you play tug of war with your lab?

View Poll Results: Do you play tug of war with your lab?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 75.00%
  • No

10 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play tug of war with your lab?

JollyMolly Guest

DefaultDo you play tug of war with your lab?

I was wondering if you guys play tug of war with your dogs. I heard it leads to aggressiveness. Molly likes to play it and I'm up in the air whether or not to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Do you play tug of war with your lab?

I didn't play tug when Jazzy was a puppy, because I thought it might be confusing while trying to teach her "leave it" etc. We play now, especially when it's yucky outside. Jazzy loves to play tug with a stuffie!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I do...but I always end it with me saying "Jacob, drop it!" and then he give it to me and I throw it for him. If he manages to tug it out of my hand, I make him drop it. I want to make it clear that I am in control of the game.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lunamus is offline Senior Member

I was told by a friend, that a lab has a soft mouth and that by playing tug of war, you could destroy the soft mouth, which wouldnt be good if the dog's used for hunting.

BUT that said. I DO play tug of war with Luna, and I DO let her win.

We are having a few things with Luna (not issues and not problems, more a thing of me feeling that Luna isnt a happy labby), so we are trying to get her playing and to boost her independency (sp?)

Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

patm is offline Senior Member

I never had, because I had always heard that it would interfere with retrieving. But after reading on the forum about this topic, it appears that you can train your dog to play tug, AND retreive without difficulty. What I did though, was buy toys designed to let the 2 dogs play tug with each other. It works out fine.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

We play tug, but we always make sure that when we're finished that abby drops the rope and we toss it for her
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Mystrie is offline Senior Member

I do play tug with Miller. When my children were very little, I did not play tug with any of my dogs that we had then.

Bringing a dog into a house with small children sometimes causes that dog to view the children as part of their litter and the dog will try to be alpha with the kids. I had this happen to me with a lab mix that we had. It was a terrible situation. My 15 year old stepson had just come to live with us after beating the crap out of his mother and slicing up her furniture. My children were 5, 3 and 1 years old. My stepson would rile the dog up and then go lock himself up in his room to let me deal with a crazy young lab playing bitey face with my kids. Unfortunately, I had to rehome Shadow. It broke my heart to give him up. He really was a nice dog. A few lears later, my stepson moved out and we rescued a cattle dog/husky mix. we had no problems. Three years ago, the same stepson purchased Miller from the most infamous pet store in Chicago as an impulse. 3 weeks later, he dumped him on me! He is a very, very big lab. Over the top in lab size. I made sure he knew who was alpha before I played tug with him. We really don't play too much because he is too strong for my arm sockets. I prefer a nice game of fetch.

Dani is offline Senior Member

No.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Yep, I play tug with my labs and they're wonderful retrievers. I do as others have suggested and always end the game by me "winning"-saying give. I've heard the "it ruins a soft mouth" thing and personally don't believe it...my two run hunt tests and deliver birds in perfect condition.

Well, I said yes; even though we don't any more because they play tug with each other. Zoe would bug SU every night to play tug ... it was exhausting. Now they have brothers and sisters to play with. She has learned to "drop it" when we say to ... she doesn't like to; but she will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast