Harness Question...

Thread: Harness Question...

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

DefaultHarness Question...

Hi - I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions about what is the best type of harness. We currently have the PetSafe Easy Walk Harness. It definitely helps with pulling but it feels a little awkward because the leash attaches to the front of her chest. The other one I am thinking about getting is called a step in harness. Does anyone have any thoughts about why one may be better than the other?

In case I am not making sense below are links to the harnesses. The first link is the one we have. The second link is the one I am thinking about getting.

Amazon.com: PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness, Medium/Large, Black/Silver: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Rogz Utility Extra Large 1-Inch Reflective Lumberjack Adjustable Dog Step-in-Harness, Turquoise: Pet Supplies

Thanks!

Tilly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I have the easy walk harness as well and definately makes a difference, with me anyhow, vs just his collar. Hubby makes fun of me and Siren saying only girls wear harnesses but it allows me to have more control over a dog who is becoming strong as an mule. But one day I wasn't paying attention and put it on funky with the hook for the leash on his back. I tried it for a bit and it was fine, I just got worried that I was pulling on his joints the wrong way where it wasn't designed like that. I've seen harnesses like the step in being used and wondered if it was easier or not. I just like the easy walk becuase it straightens him out if he's getting distracted.

justlabradors is offline Administrator

Siren is beautiful. Don't let your hubby tease you and Siren.

Quote Originally Posted by cillovely View Post
    I have the easy walk harness as well and definately makes a difference, with me anyhow, vs just his collar. Hubby makes fun of me and Siren saying only girls wear harnesses but it allows me to have more control over a dog who is becoming strong as an mule. But one day I wasn't paying attention and put it on funky with the hook for the leash on his back. I tried it for a bit and it was fine, I just got worried that I was pulling on his joints the wrong way where it wasn't designed like that. I've seen harnesses like the step in being used and wondered if it was easier or not. I just like the easy walk becuase it straightens him out if he's getting distracted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Depends on what you are rtying to accomplish, I have the PetSafe Easy walk that I use when Steve or someone else want to walk Mya.......she is way easier to controll. When I walk her, I require her to heal and not pull. No one else seems to be able to make her listen as well.
    The second harness you are looking at will not aid you in controlling your dog.
    Perhaps enrolling in an Obedience class would be helpful.

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

Oh I didn't realize the second harness didn't help with control. Whats the point of having a harness if it doesn't help control the dog?

Tilly

Archie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jls View Post
    Oh I didn't realize the second harness didn't help with control. Whats the point of having a harness if it doesn't help control the dog?
    The second harness can be used so that the dog isn't choked, but it actually makes it more comfortable to pull. I use a plain harness like that to secure archie in the car so that if I have to brake quickly, he will be safely secured, and not by the neck.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Harnesses, by design, help a dog pull. I wouldn't bother with them. Use a prong if you need to teach better leash manners. Or keep going to training classes.