New Gabby
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gabby

DefaultNew Gabby

Hi Ladies and Gentleman:

We just got a new puppy...she's 8 weeks old by now (we got her when she was 6 weeks) and she's been a prayer's answer to us. She's a yellow lab and as soon as I'm able, I will include a picture. I've been reading your postings for information and have gotten lots of useful tips, but I still have questions and am need of opinion.

1) I play with her a whole lot and try to get her not to bite me, but she gets so excited all of the time, she still tries to do it. Is this a puppy thing? As soon as she tries I give her a toy to chew on. Will this be an ongoing thing?

2) Rope toys. I hear people say yes and no. what do you think?

3) I try to come up with as many games as possible with her so as to keep her entertained while she is awake. I hope they are all ok. But I make her chase me around, we chase her duck toy, she loves to sit on me and struggle with her toys. She loves kicking around her water bottle toy. And many more little games, I just hope she doesn't get bored. I just can't wait until she gets her next set of shots so that she can meet more people and puppies.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as time goes by.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New Gabby

No advice here sorry. Bear just turned 5 months the other day. But congrats on your addition.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi, welcome!!! Forgive us, there have many problems with this board the last couple of days and 1/2 of our members are hiding out at an alternate board until everything is fixed. Therefore you probably won't get as many responses as your normally would here!

The biting is a definite lab puppy thing and she should grow out of it. I didn't have the biting/nipping problem with either of my two so I don't have advice on how to deal with it. Others will, though.

I think the thing with the ropey toy is just to watch her and make sure she's not shredding and ingesting any strings. I have a bunch for my guys and haven't had a problem with them.

You shouldn't play Tug-o-war with her unless you start the game and you stop the game. Otherwise she could be testing you on who's the alpha.

Good luck with her! Stick around here, and post pics when you can

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!!

Your part about the biting sounded like me just about 2 months ago!!! Beau is just 4 1/2 months old and he had "bitey" issues.* I tried everything from switching toys to "time outs" to turning away and finally a little squirt bottle with water.* Someone replied to one of my posts and said that he would out grow the constant biting with consistentcy and time.* Low & behold it seemed as tho one day he did stop most of the biting.....don't get me wrong..it still comes out occasionally...but he's still learning.

He also loves his rope toys but he loves to play with empty 24oz plastic bottles (watch when they start to get chewed on) and his favorite "squeaky toys"

As far as games...Beau & I still play a mini game of "get the ball" in the livin room....mostly when its nasty outside..but I sit on the floor...toss the ball...he brins it back & sits on my lap and get "luvin" & scratchin and just over all my attention.* Its also a good time to work on basic commands...don't expectmiracles but it does focus their attention.

You will know when she is bored....she will look for something to chew on...and its usually something she is not supposed to!!

Enjoy her ...take & post lots of pics...they grow sooooo quickly!!

try making her sleep with a toy dog or something...

Got A Picture In!!!
    I'll try and figure out a way to add more pictures. Thanks for the advice though. We will do our best with her, but new questions will always come up. Today I gave her a soccer ball and she loved it. I will also look into a couple of rope toys. She does chew and bite quite a bit, and just like many mentioned, I hope it's an early stage. She is a great puppy though. Now I have to figure out how to write in the Introductions page...

Congratulations. Everyone seemed to have covered your questions so I won't bore you with comments from the peanut gallery.

I have a 9 week old yellow girl so I know what you are going through. Good luck and can't wait to see pictures of her.

I'm still trying to figure out how to add pictures at the bottom of the new reply.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

That option is lower on the same page where you uploaded your avatar.

The slight hiccup is that you need to host your picture on a site like photobucket.com which is free. Just sign up for an account, upload as many pictures as you want... and then in order to post them in a message or in your signature copy the third address under the picture (usually has IMG tags that look like this: {IMG} and {/IMG} but with [] instead of {}) Cope that link and paste it into a message/signature and WALA!!!
    ~Lindsay

Let me see if this works....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast