Snort...this was news to me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snort...this was news to me!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSnort...this was news to me!

The owner of one of my board and trains asked me if his dog was a "duck footed" Lab, or a straight legged Lab. His breeder said that there two kinds of Labradors, "duck footed" where the feet point outward in different directions, and straight legged Labs. (guess which one he has?). gosh....I never knew that! (snort).

I asked him about the breeder, and how young was the pup when he got him. Owner said interesting I should ask, as he thought he had puppies switched out and he got one much younger than it should have been. Dog, 7 months old is very friendly but has no concept of "backing off" when being pesky to a more dominant dog. Dog continuously pestered Kodi, and took toys away from Flint. Dog was given a gracious 1 1/2 weeks of growls, snaps....dog can now be called scar face. Breeder, here in MI apparently has 12+ litters a year. Since breeder is 78 years old, Owner wants another pup quick in case she kicks the bucket.

*whacking head against wall*

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

um wow.
    I would have a hard time working in the pet industry. Or maybe I would just have to practice my poker "oh that's interesting" face.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Something I picked up years ago when I was researching beagles... that "duck foot", or sometimes referred to as "easty/westy" feet may be in part attributed to a severe protein deficiency in the puppy diet.

I dunno.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Duck feet?! That is a new one. You sure do seem to have some great experiences and conversations in the work you do. I am just not sure how you keep a straight face and maybe sometimes from just smacking some people!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Dog's food was one issue I did make progress on. Owner changed Dog's food as a pup, because it made him smell like a "swamp". Owner started to switch foods on Dog. Dog developed diarrhea (because of frequent food changes). Dog brought to vet, and vet recommended a prescription food, 20# for $80.00. Yikes! (28% protein...I have no idea what else the dog was on).

So, after making sure there was no "real" reason that Dog was on the Prescription Diet, I started to switch over to a relatively high quality food, and Dog is doing fine! Owner said he has no problem switching Dog, I have free reign!

Karen and the gang

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Poor wee dog. I hope his owner loves him for whatever he is and doesn't get another dog from that breeder.

I saw a tiny Lab a few months ago and asked how old the puppy was. It was 8 years old and a specially bred "duck dog". I was told they are bred small so they can sneak around bushes getting ducks without the ducks seeing them. lolol.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Curious . . . when you have dogs board with you for training are you teaching them to hunt, just doing general training (which I'm sure needs to be done prior to teaching them to hunt) or both?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    Poor wee dog. I hope his owner loves him for whatever he is and doesn't get another dog from that breeder.

I saw a tiny Lab a few months ago and asked how old the puppy was. It was 8 years old and a specially bred "duck dog". I was told they are bred small so they can sneak around bushes getting ducks without the ducks seeing them. lolol.
    Too funny!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    Curious . . . when you have dogs board with you for training are you teaching them to hunt, just doing general training (which I'm sure needs to be done prior to teaching them to hunt) or both?
    Both

Karen and the gang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast