Lab Activities

Thread: Lab Activities

DefaultLab Activities

i posted this on the other forum, but i'll post it here since this forum is up now.

http://www.labradorplace.com/forums/thread/1116.aspx

just reply to me on this forum since it will be easier.

thanks,
    Randale

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab Activities

Some of the things I do

Tennis racket and a few tennis balls - saves the arm
    Dog park, plenty of off leash running
    swimming - when there is not 15 inches of ice on the lakes
    tug of war with a strong rope
    2 mile walks

For when I need peace
    Stuffed Kong, frozen or freshly made(this is good for an hour of peace)
    Smoked butcher bones(good for 30 minutes - then i take it away from them)

Since the pup is in the garage, make sure you keep all chemicals up especially antifreeze. Also, the garage can get very hot during the day during the summer months.

definitely lots of chew toys. That will keep him occupied while you are away. The kongs are great cause they are indestructible. he will chew and chew on that trying to destroy it. Now is a good time to always be active with your puppy. Not just to tire him out but to socialize him and train him. Do you have any friends or family with another dog? A friend of mine had a puppy the same time i got Hank and they always played together. We just sat back and watched them exercise each other.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my girlfriend has a 3 month old Daschund mix and a 2 month old Toy Poodle. they haven't seen each other yet, but hopefully they get along so they can play together all day. is it okay to let them play with each other even though they both are way smaller than him? my garage isn't a typical garage. its basically a lounge area. my dad installed insulating panels on the garage so it stays cool when its hot outside and stay warm when its cold outside. thanks for the suggestions.

only one way to find out if it will be okay for them to play together. But there is a process. Be sure to introduce the dogs in a secure environment, one that neither dog feels a territorial protection for. Maybe a dog park would be good or any local park. Supervise their visits to be sure they are getting along with each other. Watch to see how they play with each other. Make sure the bigger dog isn't being too rough. If you are always having to step in cause its gettting too rough, I wouldn't leave them alone together. You just got to watch them closely, watch their reactions and note the way they play together. Hope that helps.

Katy Guest

When Rory was a baby a good game of tug and a stuffed baby Kong kept him nice and tired.

chew toys..a tennis ball with a chuck-it....and a bike or rollerblades to wear the snot out of him.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Long walks
    Running with other dogs
    Swimming
    Jogging/running alongside you
    Biking and hiking with you
    Playing ball (use a chuck-it)
    Playing tug

All of the above work for my dogs. If they didn't get a couple hours of some of the above every day, they would drive me nuts!

haha thanks for all of the suggestions guys. the tennis balls work great, but im a little short right now because i keep throwing them into my neighbors backyard :P i want to take him swimming soon also. thanks again everyone.