am I a bad person???

Thread: am I a bad person???

Defaultam I a bad person???

We got Piper from a rescue for a three week trial period. Sh is a tiny, timid little thing, that has a broken spirit. Her and Mason for the most part are getting along. There are issues in that Mason does not listen anymore, and Piper does not respond to any commands. I knew it would be an adjustment and it is kind of working out. But, I don't think I am a two dog person. I just feel overwhelmed, and not sure I want two dogs. But, am I being selfish? We have the home and means to provide for a second one, and she needs a home and love.....this is the first time I have had two dog and am just not ok with it....am I a terrible person?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: am I a bad person???

Heck no you aren't a terrible person. Beyond that.. I have no experience or advice to give. But don't beat yourself up... just as some people only like small dogs or big dogs or labs ... some people need just one dog.
    ~Lindsay

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

MM, you said that this was a "three week trial" period.

A time period to "try" things out to see how things go.
    Do not "feel bad" if at this time your better judgement and gut instinct is to remain a one dog household. What is comfortable for YOU is what is best for your household.
    You are a "good person" for having tried. :-*

NO! You are NOT a bad person.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bad person...no.

Expecting too much, too soon...yes.

It takes a while for a dog to settle into the routine of a new home. If your thinking it's not for you, I'd return her ASAP.

No you are not a bad person.

The fact is that you have tried. If you need to try all 3 weeks and then decide or if you don't think you can go 3 weeks then take her back.

If you are not happy with two dogs in the house then the dogs are not going to be happy. You are going to be frustrated and the dogs won't understand why.

I think that you are being a good person by realizing that you feel this way before it is too late and she is in your home for good.

The decision you make will be the right one for you no matter what you decide. Cheer up though k.

Hunter is offline Senior Member

When my last Lab died(Garth), I started searching for a rescue dog, found Duke at a Petco adoption day. At first I was excited to find such a good looking Choclate Lab that needed a rescue, took him home he adapted to Hunter(Yellow Lab) well. Everything was great for the first couple of weeks. After that I was 2nd guessing myself, "Why did I get another dog" - more vet bills, more food, more crap to pick up!

But now that Duke has been with us for 8+ months there is now way I could give him up.

It is a hassle after the initial welcome home phase, but it does get better.

And no you are not a bad person thinking about returning him. There were many times I thought about sending Duke back to the humane society, but then I looked in his eyes and could not bring myself to it.

Thank you for your support, we had the decision made for us. My partner's Aunt is in the hospital again for caner....and this time it may be to much. So, not only will we be traveling back and forth, there will be nights we have to stay there, and at least for now we will be the caregivers for her dog. So, I guess everything happens for a reason. I have contacted the rescue to make arrangments for Piper. Piper is a wonderful little dog, that will make someone a wonderful companion.

Katy Guest

You're not a bad person, you're very in touch with the needs of your family. Good for you. Thats what the trial period was for!