Puppy joints as they grow
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy joints as they grow

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy joints as they grow

deleted

Last edited by labby; 09-23-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Laura

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Thanks Laura, this is a cool diagram. My pup is at that vunerable age now. I tell my hubby over and over not to let him jump to high, run to fast, etc.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That really helps to understand, Laura. Thank you!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The back is also very important. I am seeing a lot of spondylosis and I wonder if letting the dog run and jump as a youngster is contributing to it. I've concentrated on taking care of the hips and elbows, but never thought about the back.

Laura

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Great information, really appreciate the diagram, thanks. Is there a website link for further reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    Great information, really appreciate the diagram, thanks. Is there a website link for further reading?
    Not that I know of, yet. I'll post it if I see one.

Laura

tismom is offline Senior Member

Thank you for this very valuable information.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I've often also wondered if there is any info on injurys and dogs out there that are weekend warriors. They sit at home all week doing nothing while owners work and then when the weekend comes they run the hell out of their dogs. I believe there has to be a correlation. I make sure we do something everyday. Supervised free play outside on flat grass is what we do at this point. Since Todd is 9 months, I need it for my sanity! But my corgi will be 12 and he needs to keep moving too. Laura, what are your thoughts?
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstyer65 View Post
    I've often also wondered if there is any info on injurys and dogs out there that are weekend warriors. They sit at home all week doing nothing while owners work and then when the weekend comes they run the hell out of their dogs. I believe there has to be a correlation. I make sure we do something everyday. Supervised free play outside on flat grass is what we do at this point. Since Todd is 9 months, I need it for my sanity! But my corgi will be 12 and he needs to keep moving too. Laura, what are your thoughts?
    I can give you my own observation that I believe supports the weekend warrior theory. As a matter of fact, it was an article in the paper on how baby boomers could no longer be weekend warriors in their later years that made me think it might be part of my girl's limping. She was getting Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM supplements and post a rambunctious play with a much younger dog that saw her start limping and provided a diagnosis post X-ray of arthritis in her right shoulder she was also getting Cartrophen Vet injections. The CV worked a treat but I decided to make her exercise more evenly balanced throughout the week. No more one hour outings off leash in the bush on weekdays and 2 to four times that on the weekend. I INCREASED her midweek exercise. I made sure one day, usually Wednesday, right in the middle, was two hours. A walk, a bike a ski. Biking was slow and had lots of breaks. It worked. I was able to take her right off the Cartrophen Vet and she held for four years, ages 9 till 12.5 when her back went out. She'd have the odd day of gimpiness and for those once in a blue moon times I gave her aspirin as per my Vet.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much Laura. If not for your advice, I could have really screwed Bauer up. I am a runner, and would have started running with him way too early. He is now 5.5, and we run together almost daily. Probably wouldn't be the case without your early advice.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast