T bar country Lab pup -opinion

Thread: T bar country Lab pup -opinion

PAlablover is offline Junior Member

DefaultT bar country Lab pup -opinion

Our family is in contact with the above listed breeder to purchase a yellow male pup . We previously had a male that was with us for 14 years. I was hoping to gain some intel on this breeder prior to entering into the contract . When i goggle T bar labs the browser brings up puppy mills and failed inspections. I spoke with the owner who offered references and shows an A+ rating on the BBB contradictory to what goggle listed. We are just trying to make the best informed decision before moving forward. I personally would not want to patronize someone who is not doing it the right way. I am enjoying the forum and pics and look forward to having another lab at home again.
    Thank you
    Live love labs

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

If it doesn't feel right then go with your gutt.

I will say this (not specifically referencing a breeder specifically). A good breeder:
    - does ALL health clearances on both parents prior to breeding. This means, hips, below, eyes, heart, eic, cmn. you should be able to ask and discuss these.
    - a breeder should prove both parents (the actual parents of the puppies) in a venue (field, hunt, conformation) to prove the dogs before choosing to breed them.

And that is just a baseline.

Start by finding your local/regional labrador club and see what breeders are good standing members there. If you say your general area (or can we assume you are in PA?) others can give you some hints on where to look.

Is this close-ish to you? Greater Pittsburgh Lab Club

Or for a list of all the state clubs look here: Labrador Retriever
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-09-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I can't imagine why anyone living in PA would want to get a puppy from that far away unless there was something specific in the lines you were looking for (like field champions or a specific conformation line).

When I look at a breeder's site, I like to see them talk about what they have accomplished with their own dogs. I really don't want to look at hundred of pictures of puppies they have produced or read cutesy stories about their owners. I want to SEE the pedigree for their dogs and see the environment in which the dogs live and the puppies are raised.

I want to see the info about their dog's OFA certifications as well as their EIC, CERF, CNM certification. (all genetic issues Labs can have) I want to see their titles with win pics.

I don't want to see them talking about "white" puppies when we all know Labs come only in 3 colors.

I want an idea of how many litters they have on the ground at one time and how many they are producing annually. Large numbers of litters are a red flag because those puppies are probably not being well socialized unless there is a very large staff working.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAlablover View Post
    I personally would not want to patronize someone who is not doing it the right way.
    Excellent way of thinking!!

As mentioned above, let us know where you're from and we can point you towards a responsible breeder.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am not sure where you are located in PA but I can recommend Rambo Run in York, PA. Jeff has beautiful dogs and does things the right way. I know he will have a litter ready in December of blacks and yellows.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Ritaironic is offline Junior Member

I totally agree with bigbrowndog about getting a pup. When I was looking for mine, I found a very local breeder. What bugged me is that 1. They kept their dogs outside in pens year round and 2. Since I was looking for a potential service partner, I wanted the pup to pick me, not me sending them a deposit for a pup and hope I get a good one. I found a breeder 60 miles away ( which is close by Montana standards). Over the phone I was up front about what I wanted and didn't want . I was invited to their ranch, they sat me on the floor and put 9 pups around me. Karma picked me. Fortunately he possessed the qualities I was looking for and the breeders are now good friends. Their dogs are their family, not a commodity and it shows. I've never been surrounded by so many well mannered dogs in my life! They are well behaved out of respect, not intimidation or fear. Karma has been with us a bit over a month now and he is fabulous beyond my wildest dreams! He has been socialized since birth and that has helped him have such an amazing disposition. I could have gone with the closer kennel, but it didn't feel right, my gut from the get go told me to drive the extra miles and Karma has been well worth it!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I see that they also breed Goldens. They breed a LOT of dogs - huge red flag right there. Yes, they list a lot of champions, but if the dogs are kept in kennels, that is not the best way to raise puppies. With as many as they have, there's no way in hell those dogs are in the house, so it makes you wonder how much interaction they get from people aside from showing.

Also, why would you want to fly one to you from Kansas when there are many breeders much closer to you? No to mention rescues.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

labby is offline Senior Member

My biggest complaint that I see is that they don't have individual pages for each of the dogs that THEY own. They don't have pedigrees so you can see the bloodlines of said dogs. They have lots and lots of cutesy pictures designed to lure a person in, but not enough meat on the website.

Laura