What would you do?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

DefaultWhat would you do?

I walked across town with Webster last night to a reservation on the ocean where it is dog friendly and dogs can run off leash. I had walked down and was heading back and stopped at the water hose to spray Webster down before making the 2 mile trek back home. I had him on leash because the parking lot was right there. A guy pulls in and lets his dog out who ran right over to Webster as he was drinking, and all of a sudden I turn around and the dog was growling, showing his teeth and going after Webster who was trying to run away at this point. Webster is friendly and loves other dogs but this one scared him. I of course tried to get the dog off of Webster but he had no collar, so I grabbed Webster's harness pushed the dog off of him and stood between them. The owner then called his dog to him and said oh wow he never does anything like that and goes on his way.

So the question is if a dog is attacking my dog, or if there is a dog fight in general, is there a way to get them to stop? I had a hose I tried to squirt the dog to break his attention but that didn't work. I learned from a friend who was bitten in a dog fight to try not to put you hands in because you may end up with 14 stiches. This was the first time I have been in this situation and most likely not the last and I was just wondering if there was any sort of trick to help in this situation.

Thanks guys!!

Mandy

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I'd like to know this, too! Glad your guy is ok.

I had a rather large doberman try to mount my puppy at the dog park once and without thinking I ran up to him and very loudly told him off and physically moved him. Just like being a mother, instinct just kicked in and I didn't think what he could have done to me. Luckily he was afraid of me and backed off.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

A foot up the ass of the offending dog ought to do it. But be prepared for bad dog owner backlash.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You can carry pepper spray, but a kick in the ass is faster and more effective.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I think you did what you could and be glad it worked. We've had outright attacks on our leashed dog with no pre sniff or anything. I've read countless times that you pick the offending dog up by his hinds legs, best if both people pick up both dogs by the hind legs and no sireee, I'm not going to do that. Dogs are pretty flexible, they can still whip around and bite you. Plus I doubt there is any way I can hold onto about 50 plus pounds of fighting mad dog.

A trainer told us to stand between our dogs, if possible, stand up straight and tall and yell at the other dog GO HOME. It's your tone and posture as much as the words that gets the message across. This has worked for me but my dog is no wallflower, if there's something to defend himself from he will and he will respond in kind. So it's hard, I have two dogs to control. I have also used the boot to whatever body part I can connect with and I have wished I had on my steel toed construction boots instead of soft running shoes.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Kick any area of the attacking dog that you can - hard and as often as you can. Having something like a hose in my hand, I would have tried to shove that down the other dog's throat.

I keep a length of thin, metal pipe by my side door (where the boys go out on the tie-out for potty) for any dogs that enter my yard. I have had dogs that were visiting my neighbors come into my yard after both me and my boys. I use that pipe and swing as hard as I can.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

labchris is offline Senior Member

It seems you all want to kill other dogs? Imagine if your dog behaves like that for whatever reason and some "kicks your dog up" and kills it. Would you still suggest that to everyone else then?
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Chris, I think anyone here would do whatever they could to defend their fur baby. I know I would. If my dog was aggressive enough to attack another dog, I would expect the person who owned the dog being attacked to do what they had to do save their dog.

I know my Diesel. He is a very submissive dog so in any dog fight it would not be initiated by him, and he would be the victim. Whenever we go on walks I am always wary of my surroundings... huge boulder there, metal post of a sign that I can pull out of a lawn here, huge branch laying on this lawn... in case something happens I know what "weapons" are at my disposal other than my foot up some dog's ass. Diesel would not be able to save himself, he's my baby so it's my job to protect him. Your dog attacks my dog, you better do the sign of the cross in honour of your dog because he's going down. But, I will only use as much force as required.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

I agree I would do whatever it took to defend my pup. He is just so submissive and would not have a clue what to do. So, I would step up. I had this happen once with my previous dog and if I hadn't fell on my ass I would have got that dang dog...lol...
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

labchris is offline Senior Member

Stepping up and pulling the dog away is one thing, but beating it with a metal pipe or kicking it is another thing. I am pretty sure you can solve situations without killing someone or something.

There is a story about a guy at one of the dog parks here. A dog ran after the man's small dog (I think). Not even attacking, but this guy stabbed the dog many many times.
    Last edited by labchris; 09-04-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast