My Lab is untrainable!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab is untrainable!

dukesterNC is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab is untrainable!

Ok I never really thought I would say this about my adorable lab but right now he seems to be "untrainable". Sometimes he will sit on command but not always. He will never stay where he is told to stay. He just acts like there are better things for him to do. The main thing's I would like for him to learn is; How to fetch and return it to you, Sit on demand, and stay.

My "Epic" Wishlist:
    Since he always decides to open my door right when I'm in the middle of shutting it (it doesn't have a latch it just goes closed and to open it you just push/pull on the handle, no turning required) I wish he could nudge it with his nose to close it behind him, kinda like how he nudges me when he needs to use the bathroom outside.

Details: He is Labrador and Part Beagle. Approx. 1-2 years old. Rescued. Had him for almost a year!

What kind of answer i'm looking for is: How exactly can I get him to do these things when I am training him. How do I get him to focus on me and listen to me.

Note: I have a clicker and treats, but they don't seem to work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Enroll in a basic obedience class with him. Formal classes not only help build a good working bond with your dog they help train the human to train their dog! Let a good, experienced trainer observe you with your dog so they can give you insight in to what you may be doing wrong. (I would not suggest a PetSmart type class, check with your local AKC office or Labrador Retriever club in your area for trainers to help you.)
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

I agree I have olive in puppy kindergarten they really help you learn the proper way to give commands and are a great asset for any issues that come up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Enroll in basic obedience and through lessons and repetition, you will both learn lots. Organized obedience training is a wonderful bonding experience as well as placing your dog into great distractions while in a controlled environment.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have already received the basic message three times. I won't repeat it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    You have already received the basic message three times. I won't repeat it.
    I will, Training classes. I think especially because it's easy to use clickers the wrong way.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Stick with it. Food helps them focus.

Ernie was 3.5 and untrained when I got him. My vet said he had to be the dumbest Lab we had ever seen. She said it in a nice way. I thought he would never learn. Today people say "is there anything that dog doesn't do" lol.

Tess was 5 and untrained. Two years on she is getting it slowly. So many times I lovingly say to her "Tessy you are as thick as a plank." as I cuddle her and take a break. To her I think it is "why do I need to sit when I will be getting up in a moment,"

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

obviously you got the idea from all the above replies lol

My Bella used to be so unfocused and ADD, but since she and I got the proper training (puppy, intermediate, and advanced classes) she can now wait for my command while sitting and staring at me for a long time lol

once u learned how to properly train or what works with your dog, you will be able to teach him new tricks and commands in no time!

good luck!!!

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

If your dog isn't doing what you want them to do then there are one or two problems. You are not the most fun thing in your dogs life. Or two, your dog doesn't know what you are trying to communicate. Training your dog comes down overcoming one or both these issues. Dogs are not robots. You cannot fake it with them nor can you go out one day and expect them to just get it. It takes time. It takes patience. It takes commitment. It takes YOU fulfilling your dogs needs so your dog will be happy to return the favor and fulfill your needs.

Obedience classes can help, but it isn't the end all. If you don't put the time in with your dog, you won't get results.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Any trainer worth working with makes it very clear that you must put in time and effort and work with your dog. Training is something you work on throughout the life of your dog, not just during class time of a 6 week course.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast