Scary experience

Thread: Scary experience

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScary experience

My family and I were downtown last night getting ice cream. We were walking by a shop and there was a woman outside with a husky mix as soon as it saw olive I knew it was do aggressive all of a sudden it lunged forward and almost knocked the woman over it lunged again and pulled out of its collar and was on top of olive in a second. My first thought was he is going to kill my puppy. I tried for spin and yank olives collar and kicked the dog but I was so stunned. My husband tried to grab the dog but there was no collar. The man started walking over and the dog took off between the shops to the water. We walked away and I guess he came up with the dog on the leash and I guess he walked back in the shop. I was so stunned I could not even say anything but an expletive when the woman apologized. We went and sat down and I was just so angry what kind of people would bring a dog around that would attack a 15 week old puppy and the fact that the woman obviously had no control over then dog angered me even more. The only thing I was thankful for is olive had no idea she thought the dog jumped on her to play she never got bit. After about 20 minutes we walked back to the car I just wanted to go home we walked by the shop and my son and husband said the dog was under the table in the shop turns out it was the person who works there dog. I cannot believe anyone would be so irresponsible to bring such an aggressive dog to a place where there are so many dogs walking around many people just walk in the shop with their Dog's. I feel like going down there and explaining to the person how dangerous there dog is to be around other dogs especially since it would attack a puppy but I don't know if that is the right thing to do. My mom said I should report it to the dog officer my husband says to let it go unless it happens again. I was up worrying all night wishing I was braver and had not panicked and had given her a piece of mind when it happened I just want to get away from the situation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Ahhh man, that sucks. You gotta get Olive back out though. She needs positive social interactions now more than ever. I had similar problems with my prior boxer mix. She too got attacked as a puppy, and was growly with strangers(per your prior post). Her trainer stressed how imperative it was to create positive social situations with other known dogs and friendly people. She was always leary of strange dogs but she was extremly manageable into adulthood. With people, I could walk her down Duval St in Key west with thousands of people, petting her and she was great. In her own house she was always growly, but would come around after a few minutes and be ok.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

labchris is offline Senior Member

This reminds me, when my old leash snapped off the harness and my dog "chased" a dachshund. Except that he was just sniffing, but the woman whose dog that is was scared and pulled her dog away. (Even though I do not understand why she came close to me then?) Whatever, that was the point when I decided to get the new leash ASAP.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That is very scary and beyond irresponsible of the other dog's owner. I disagree with your husband and I would report an aggressive attack like that to someone, animal control, the police, whoever. I honestly don't think a person who is that irresponsible will take kindly to you trying to reason with them. Maybe try talking to the owner first and go from there depending on how the conversation goes.

I am really glad Olive was not hurt and did not seem bothered by the experience.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    This reminds me, when my old leash snapped off the harness and my dog "chased" a dachshund. Except that he was just sniffing, but the woman whose dog that is was scared and pulled her dog away. (Even though I do not understand why she came close to me then?) Whatever, that was the point when I decided to get the new leash ASAP.
    This dog was not just chasing she had her mouth wide open and jumped on top it was extremely aggressive. I could see before she even pulled out if the collar that she had an issue with olive. She locked her eyes on it but everything happened so fast after that there was no avoiding it.

Funny thing is today she was better than ever she has not growled since the two times before She has been super curious and went up to everyone she met and initiated contacted today. I took her to the pet store to and she was really excited to meet people. I am so relieved this had no effect on her since she was showing some fear in a few situations lately. As far as talking to the people I chickened out the dog was in that shop today hopefully what happened smartened them up.
    Last edited by Olive's mom; 08-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.