Unusual "command" words/phrases for your lab
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unusual "command" words/phrases for your lab

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUnusual "command" words/phrases for your lab

LabChris' post about his recent trip to the beach with Smiley made me think of this. Chris mentioned he uses "lost" as one of his commands, I thought that was an unusual. (I asked him about that in his thread.)

Anyway, what that brought to mind was something I did with Paddy when he was around 2-3 years old. By that age, of course, he knew and responded appropriately to the long list of "where is your (name the object)". He would trot off and retrieve the named object.

One day he was sitting in front of me. I said, "Where's Paddy?" That poor guy quickly looked left, then looked right, then stood up and, with a worried and furrowed brow and eyes pleading with me like "I don't know what to do!", I quickly changed the command. "Sorry, Pad! Where's your baby?" Off he went to retrieve his Koala.

I felt horrible for what I had asked him to do. I never did that again.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

That's funny. I can almost picture the expression on his sweet face.

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

When Cammy and I went for walks, I would say "Street" and she would heel, until we crossed an intersection. I would say "O.K." and she knew she could go on ahead of me on her flexy. I also would say "This way", and she would curve around any post, tree, or whatever was there and would get hung up around it....sorta like weaving in agility.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

When I was young I had a rescued Doberman. The command "attack" released him to go lick people! It was funny in my early twenties. I'm pretty horrified about it now.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Poor wee guy. I know that look.

I will start to say I think I will go and ..( go for him means go for a walk,go in the car, or whatever go...and see Erns head tilt and ears go up waiting for the next magic word.l quickly realise he will get excited. I don't want to take him so say "around and about" which doesn't mean a thing.
    I see him confused. He will go to get my slippers, then stop, come back, go to get his collar, and then realise it is that confusing word he isn't sure about as no one has told him what it means. I feel mean and often say....oh ok then...come with me. We will go in the car.
    Last edited by kassabella; 08-31-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

"This way" and "Right here" are a part of our every day language with Caleb. The one that cracks a lot of people up is "Get paid!" Mostly used when we've finished a Rally course- he heads right to his crate, runs in and turns around waiting for a special treat. I also say it when he's done an exception job helping me at home. Then it will be either a "paycheck" that is in the fridge (those extra special things I have at Rally), or a chew.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

"Get paid" and "paycheck" - love those, love the way you use them!

Seamus and Flynn

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I tell mine to back up, go around and move over, for some reason my mom thought that was strange and was shocked when they did as told. Mine know that "clean up" means all toys must be returned to their toy box at the end of every day. Maxx knows the difference between bananas and apples, he really likes apples but he LOVES bananas! They both know the names of most of their toys and will bring them on command. I don't think any of these things are amazing or unusual but many friends and family members think they are. I find that unusual!

The story about Paddy was priceless, I can just see the look he gave you! I love hearing stories about Paddy, the love you have for him brings him alive and always makes me smile. He may no longer be with you but you keep his spirit so bright.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labchris is offline Senior Member

We have the "Let's go" command. It usually means that we start the walk or that we do not care about that dog and just go on. Work very well.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

"Skit" means go get it and stop bringing it back.
    "Brace" when in the car and I'm about to slam on the brakes hard or take a curve faster than I meant to. It works for human kids too, and yes, everyone is buckled in (human) or in a crate (dog).
    My current dog is more husky with very little lab, so I taught her "gee" (right) and "haw" (left) thinking I might want to (urban) sled her some day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast