question..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question..

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion..

my biology instructor was going over genetics and last week she told me that a black lab that has puppies that are chocolate or yellow is not a purbred black lab is that true? thoughts? opinions?
    Kristin

jayson

laika

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Bullshit.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

kaykay is offline Senior Member

i didnt think they were right... in most of my vet tech classes they tell me to bathe a lab WITH shampooo weekly and i told them it ruins their coat and they asked who told me that and i told them the many lab owners and breeders that i talk to on here. their response was never trust or believe a breeder. someone asked a question on the age to spay neuter. i told them i wait till 18 months they asked why and i told them and they said that it hasnt been proven that it can cause taller labs cause the growth plate doesnt close all the way. they think spaying a female before their first heat cant cause spay incontinence or any other issues..
    Kristin

jayson

laika

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

She's talking Biology not registration. Purebred in genetics terms means homozygous which means you have two of the same alleles (what we call genes). Hence a "purebred" black lab carries BB...two dominant genes for black and therefore will never produce any puppies other than black because they always donate one dominant gene to the pups.

She's not talking about being a purebred labrador retriever....just pure for the color.

Hope this helps.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Missed something....she is wrong about yellows. There are two genes involved. A homozygous black (pure black) BB can produce a yellow because there's a second gene involved that determines whether and where that black pigment is actually deposited and therefore shows up. You can't get a dudley with a "pure black" parent because there is always black pigment deposited.
    Your parental options for a purebred black would be BBEe which would show up as a black puppy or BBee which would show up as a yellow puppy. If I remember correctly the E stands for eumalanin. Don't quote the specifics but I know I've got the general gist here.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm. Why, when I googled colour gene charts for Labs, did none of them have BBBB as a possible starting dog? All the charts I looked at all had the solid black dogs with BB and then something else. Here's an example, but I looked at three different website charts and all were the same in this regard.

VetGen: Veterinary Genetic Services - Canine - List of Services - Coat Color - Coat Color Chart A

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I teach college biology too and love to use labs for examples when teaching genetics. (All my students know Dickendall Arnold was BBEE even if they don't know a thing about labs lol) Anyway, as explained in the OP, your instructor was incorrect. A black lab can be heterozygous for yellow (the E locus) or chocolate (the B locus) or both. A black lab that is homozygous at those loci will of course only produce black.

Edited to add: Here are the colors that result from the combinations of these two loci
    BBEE = black
    BbEE = black (carries chocolate)
    bbEE = chocolate
    BBEe = black (carries yellow)
    BBee = yellow
    BbEe = black (carries both chocolate and yellow)
    bbEe = chocolate (carries yellow)
    bbee = yellow with no black pigment (technically yellow and chocolate)
    I might be missing some, but I my young human needs my attention.........
    Last edited by Eresh; 08-31-2013 at 09:07 AM.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
    i didnt think they were right... in most of my vet tech classes they tell me to bathe a lab WITH shampooo weekly and i told them it ruins their coat and they asked who told me that and i told them the many lab owners and breeders that i talk to on here. their response was never trust or believe a breeder. someone asked a question on the age to spay neuter. i told them i wait till 18 months they asked why and i told them and they said that it hasnt been proven that it can cause taller labs cause the growth plate doesnt close all the way. they think spaying a female before their first heat cant cause spay incontinence or any other issues..

All of our vets say don't bath unless you have to. The neuter thing is still debated.Many here want proof as well.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
    their response was never trust or believe a breeder.
    well you can tell them that this breeder says to kiss her behind!!

someone asked a question on the age to spay neuter. i told them i wait till 18 months they asked why and i told them and they said that it hasnt been proven that it can cause taller labs cause the growth plate doesnt close all the way. they think spaying a female before their first heat cant cause spay incontinence or any other issues..
    maybe these asshats need to read the new studies out that DOES prove it. Golden retriever study suggests neutering affects dog health :: UC Davis News & Information

Laura

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you have this forum to come to for advice, opinions, and clarification from people that have practical knowledge. It will give you a good balance with the theoretical you are being taught in your program. You may find it difficult to convince your instructors or classmates of a different thought process, but just remember you don't have to. It's okay to challenge them with a different point of view, but it's also okay to smile and nod if they think you are crazy!! Unfortunately, JL can't provide you with a diploma or degree at the end!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast