Serious issue with Maxx, help please!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious issue with Maxx, help please!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

DefaultSerious issue with Maxx, help please!

Maxx is a very well behaved 2 year old, he has been doing assorted classes since he was 10 weeks old. I have am issue that really scares me and has just started in the past 6 months or so, he wants to chase the Amish horse and buggies. He walks great on leash until one comes along and he just explodes. I have tried everything to distract him including his favorite goody, cheese, to no avail. His trainer has given me various tips and ideas to try, nothing has worked.

There is no way to avoid this situation, I live in an area heavily populated with Amish, heck we are the minority here. I am terrified one of these days I am going to lose my grip and he is going to end up hurt or something worse is going to happen. He has spooked a couple of these horses but luckily there has been no harm done. I am at a loss, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Might be time to use a device if working on focus methods is not doing it. Head halter? Prong collar? E-collar?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

E collar. If you can obtain it through a trainer, so you can learn the proper techniques, it would be great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You might be right Sharon. I have tried everything else and he is so well behaved in every other circumstance regardless of distractions. I honestly think an e-collar is my next step, I have tried the other 2 and they have not helped much after the first or second time. His trainer offered to teach us how to use the e-collar, I guess it is time to take her up on this. Thank you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

My corgi did the same thing when he was young, only it was cars. We would be walking, a car would pass and he would go nuts after it. It literally scared the crap outta me. Please don't think I'm harsh here, but a car went past, as soon as he started to go, I snapped that leash and yelled NO. I didn't choke him, I just snapped it. I think it scared/maybe hurt him because he yelped. But, he never did it again. He may have been so surprised over my reaction, I dont know. But the thought of a car chaser scared me. So, what I'm thinking is, a reaction that Maxx is not used too, like that or a quick shock may snap his attention back to you and the walk. I know exactly how unnerving that is.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

An e-collar it is. I have never used one before so I would never attempt it without proper training. My fear is having to shock him stupid, he just does not respond to anything else. It drives me crazy because he is so well behaved in every other way. I just don't get what makes him so nuts. It is almost like he is possessed.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

He's a good dog because of you! He has a kink in his chain. You will be able to fix it! Has he ever been around horses? Like at a friends barn? Do you know anyone or any Amish people that you could introduce him to a horse? Maybe that would help?
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

He has definitely got a kink, lol! Yes, he has been around horses by themselves and he keeps his distance. Unfortunately he does not keep his distance from horse poop if he gets a chance to sneak off, ugh! I don't know what it is about the horse and buggy combo. I don't know any Amish well enough to ask them for help, they are not very friendly with us "English"! Since they are all around us I won't have to worry about opportunity once I get some training with the e-collar. I just hope and pray it works because I am at a loss after this. It is a horrible accident waiting to happen and it scares the heck out if me.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    You might be right Sharon. I have tried everything else and he is so well behaved in every other circumstance regardless of distractions. I honestly think an e-collar is my next step, I have tried the other 2 and they have not helped much after the first or second time. His trainer offered to teach us how to use the e-collar, I guess it is time to take her up on this. Thank you!
    Hey, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Diesel has one, and he obeys really well with it on. I can't really remember the last time I had to nick him, really. His has a tone button that beeps his collar, and he knows that means he better listen. Now, I never had one before, 'cause Deacon never needed one. But, Diesel has a lot higher prey drive, and I knew early on I'd need to use one. It's only used to reinforce commands he already knows.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Quote Originally Posted by D Bros. View Post
    Hey, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Diesel has one, and he obeys really well with it on. I can't really remember the last time I had to nick him, really. His has a tone button that beeps his collar, and he knows that means he better listen. Now, I never had one before, 'cause Deacon never needed one. But, Diesel has a lot higher prey drive, and I knew early on I'd need to use one. It's only used to reinforce commands he already knows.
    I know it is not a bad thing, I have just always been afraid of them because I don't know how to use one. With Leslie's help I know I will be fine. I only fear he will require practically electrocution strength to snap him out of it. He also has a high prey drive but I can redirect him from anything else. Nothing seems to hurt him, I have watched him smack in to walls playing inside with Emma and trees outside. He doesn't even stop to shake it off most of the time. A prong collar got a reaction the first time, he actually looked at me for a second or 2 but went right back at it. If I use a prong collar for any other reason he is as good as gold. Very frustrating...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast