Lab from Micons labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab from Micons labs

Belleria is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab from Micons labs

For the past few months my family and I have been looking for a yellow lab breeder in Northern California. We are looking for a healthy dog with good temperament for a family pet. We visited quite few breeders. We noticed some breeders were more up front with health clearances and pedigrees while other were not. Some breeders had reasonable prices, while others were very expensive. We visited Micons labs. Like other breeders we saw they have quite few dogs they breed. Most of the dogs were kept in kennels in the barn. They were very up front on thier website and appear very thorough with pedigree and health clearances. My father purchased one of there dogs about 13 years ago and it had been one of the most healthiest dogs with a great temperment. We were thinking of picking from one of thier upcoming litters. Since we have noticed some mixed reviews on the web. There were some posts on this site dating back to 2008. Just curious if anyone recently had any experience with them, positive or negative.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

If the dogs are in kennels in a barn or garage, that's a red flag. If they "have quite a few dogs they breed," that's another red flag.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Here is a review I just found after Googling Micon Labs:

We don't usually get our pets from breeders, just rescues, but were in the area and decided to stop by (mostly so I can play with the cute doggies ) and were completely appalled to discover this horrible breeder. The elderly couple who owns the dogs, has close to 30 of them in their barn, all in cages and the stench is absolutely unbearable! I won't go into all the details, but it did not look like any of the dogs were well taken care of and since then, I have heard horror stories from people who did end up getting their puppies. If you care about animals and supporting organizations that take good care of animals, please don't visit these people!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I looked at the web site for this breeder and saw many red flags. Personally I would continue searching for a reputable breeder.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a mill. Don't support puppy mills or back yard breeders. There are plenty of reputable breeders out there who do it right and deserve your business. Alternatively, if you're open to rescuing a dog in need, that is another great option. There are people here who can help you with either option.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

4 litters on the ground in the next 60 days and a HUGE number of male dogs (unusual). I'd keep looking.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Ugh... ditto what everyone else is saying... The thought of dogs being kept in kennels in a barn is very sad and deserves a call to the Humane Society.
    The best breeders do all of the essential health checks and have the dogs in their homes as part of their family.

J.R. and June

nicole is offline Senior Member

San Jouquin Labrador Retriever Club
    Welcome to the Golden Gate Labrador Retriever Club

You definitely want to see a breeder be upfront with information about clearances, temperament, and titles on both parents of a litter! Prices are higher than many people think.... what are you thinking?

Belleria is offline Junior Member

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Keeping a dog in a kennel is not how I have raised my dogs in the past. Trying to keep a open mind, would we not get a good healthy puppy with good temperament if its parents were kenneled?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It is about not supporting a "breeder" that houses their dogs in a barn, does not do all of the necessary health clearances and so many other things. The dogs they have are not pets they are breeding machines. Why would you want a puppy from someone like this when you know up-front about all the things that are wrong here? Support a breeder that does things right, the harm people like this do to our beloved Labs makes me sick and angry.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 08-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast