I got nipped at the DP today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I got nipped at the DP today

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

DefaultI got nipped at the DP today

No broken skin, but I have a bruise the size of a Loonie! Very sweet choc Lab, just a little too enthusiastic about the treats I had in my pocket. Her owner kept coming over to pull her away, told me to say "all gone" which worked once or twice, I gave her a stern "leave it" but not sure she knows that one, he told me to tell her "no" I did, but it was just too much for her I guess. I was standing there, put her in a sit, held my hand in front of her and said "wait" to hold her off, but took my eyes off her for two seconds to check on Diesel and OMG she just latched onto my pocket, grabbing a chunk of my thigh and bit down.

The owner felt terrible, asked if she got me and I just said it's ok. I know, it's not ok, and other than leashing her or removing her from the park I don't know what else he could have done... perhaps he should have done that. He was very apologetic. I should have said something more, right? Innocent enough on her part, I tell you this Lab doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but that still isn't cool and now thinking I should have said something, but wasn't sure at the time what. Note to self: Diesel is SOL for treats if we hit a DP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boygeorge is offline Member

Poor you, glad the bite wasn't so hard. Perhaps you need to talk to the owner next time and know more about his dog's behavior and should be corrected to become more submissive.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

What a crappy situation. I don't think there's really much more you could have done. I hope the owner learned his lesson and is working on this with her because she obviously needs some training.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Number 52 why I don't do dog parks but I hate that you were bitten. People I do know that use dog parks always say don't take a toy you don't mind losing and don't take treats. Sounds like sound advice after what happened to you. It is unfortunate if you have a dog that requires bribery to leave the fun. (I know that is not Diesel!) I do think I would have said more to the owner, it is not the dogs fault she hasn't been taught better manners. I have no doubt Maxx would focus on someone with treats in their pocket but the most harm you would come to is wet shoes from him sitting in front of you drooling, lol! (That is bad enough!) Maybe you will see him again and can talk more with him.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

Definitely needs some more training even in play the wrong person is not going to think a bite is acceptable.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

It sounds like the owner was aware of the dog's behavior. I agree with the others though - never bring treats to a dog park unless you're ready to be the focus of a lot of attention. When we used to go, Koivu would sniff people's pockets as they walked by just trying to see who had what.
    I've seen scuffles erupt over dropped pieces of food. Just not worth it.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Glad the bite wasn't worse.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

WHOA! I am a dog park proponent. HK and I are there at least once every day. We meet lots of dogs, lots of peeps. All over the behavior profile for both.

You suggested the owner leash or remove the dog from the park! Really! You are the one that brought treats into the DOG park. At our parks we advise newcomers not to bring treat or toys into the park. This was not the other owners fault, nor the poorly behaved dog. You need to stop bringing food items into the dog park.

I am sorry if I come across as nasty on this. It is out of my normal attitude. But treats and toys at a dog park always cause issues. There is always a dog that is food deprived at home and will seek out any pocket containing a treat.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Ed, I agree that you should not bring treats to a DP (though I have been guilty of doing exactly that), I also feel that this dog needs to be taught bite inhibition, and fast!

No dog should EVER bite a person because they have food in their pocket! What if this dog were exposed to a child with food? That same bite on a child could have caused serious damage.

Rox, definitely speak with the owner the next time you see him and explain that he needs to train his dog better before there is a far more serious encounter. He should have removed his dog once it became apparent that she was far too interested in the treats.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Hope your leg is ok. I read it she tried to get food out of your pocket and accidentally bit you.I would have nicely said it bit me trying to get the treats.

Sometimes if you are still training your dog you need a couple of treats. I need them for Ernie and try to discreetly give them to him. Most dogs don't bother you unless you have a bag of them. Tess knows who has treats and will go and sit by them or follow them around. If a dog annoys me for my treats I put the treats in the car.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast