Signs of aggression?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of aggression?

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSigns of aggression?

Since I have had olive I have taken her for daily walks in town to introduce her to people, dogs trucks etc.. When my son came to visit this weekend and when he and his girlfriend came over she growled at them and his under the table this went on for the three hours they were here. We tried treats but she only took a few form his girlfriend. When I took her to the bus stop there was myself and a grandmother. She made a move to pet olive and her hackles went right up and she started a low growl from her chest. Olive has always been a little reserved she does not have the super friendly lab personality but had come a long way and did well with most people. This recent behavior really worries me she is only 15 weeks and seems unusual. I was hoping for some info we have puppy class tonight so I am going to see if I can get some advice there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

That sucks! I would think it meant she's afraid. Have you tried walking her in busy places and giving her a treat when she's happy (wagging tail) and not growling? Ivy went through a weird stage where her hackles would rise and she'd be scared (didn't growl) and after a lot of socialization she outgrew it completely. I hope you get some good advice! I think she's young enough that you'll be fine

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Glad you are in a puppy class. They go through some weird stages growing up, perhaps something spooked her - something they wore, or movement, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boygeorge is offline Member

I don't think he's more on being aggressive but defensive on the things he never get used to. Surely the puppy class would be great help to him, ask few tips to make him more submissive to you while socializing him more to the things of the world.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

A puppy can go through some phases when things scare them. It is important to continue socializing and using treats to reinforce a positive experience. If you don't see an improvement I would definitely call in a professional to assess the behavior so you can do everything to correct it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

I take her everywhere we live in a very busy tourist town in the summer there is a down town where there are hundreds of people dogs trucks dropping things at the shop. I bring here there at least five days a weeks and she was doing great. I spoke to the trainer and she is entering another fear period and it was the first time a stranger had come in the house and the first time at the bus stop. Shensaid when new people come in the house there should be no touch look or talking to olive unless she approaches them. Also she said if she is nervous out that the stranger should not hand the treat to her because that reinforces the fear but the stranger should hand me the treat and I give it to olive. Also no bus stop for a few weeks while we work on her confidence. It is very hard I thought was doing everything right I introduced her to everything I could think of she used to be terrified of huge trucks now she walks right by them I took her almost everyday downtown and she was doing so well. I started her in puppy classes the week i got her. She is such a sweet girl. The trainer said she does not like using terms like shy she says the dog just needs their comfidence built up she said she sees nothing in class that even looks like she is a shy dog. She loves everyone in class she is super outgoing and running with all the dogs and tries to get attention from everyone there. Hopefully with some work we will get through the next few weeks and she will feel more confident.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't think you were doing anything wrong, those weird fear stages a puppy can go through can be hard to figure out and there is no way to tell what might spook them. What is important is how you handle it and you have done everything right there as well. Your trainer gave you great advice and I am sure in time Olive will be the happy puppy in everything. Please don't be so hard on yourself, so many people don't properly socialize their puppy and end up with lifelong problems and dogs that don't live happy, fulfilled lives.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

It really is about confidence. Every little thing Ivy has been hesitant about got better with a little confidence boost. She'll get there!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by boygeorge View Post
    I don't think he's more on being aggressive but defensive on the things he never get used to. Surely the puppy class would be great help to him, ask few tips to make him more submissive to you while socializing him more to the things of the world.
    This is not about being submissive. At all.

It's a puppy going through a fear period. She needs to help her navigate through it.

You need to keep up the socialization and make it positive - but don't force interaction or you could cause the dog to overload. Whenever she is in a situation where she reacts with fear or caution, use your happiest voice, toss treats and allow her to have a comfortable distance. Eventually reduce the distance while still doing the happy voice and treats.

Puppy K will help you hopefully. Have you talked to your breeder about her temperament?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Olive's mom View Post
    I take her everywhere we live in a very busy tourist town in the summer there is a down town where there are hundreds of people dogs trucks dropping things at the shop. I bring here there at least five days a weeks and she was doing great. I spoke to the trainer and she is entering another fear period and it was the first time a stranger had come in the house and the first time at the bus stop. Shensaid when new people come in the house there should be no touch look or talking to olive unless she approaches them. Also she said if she is nervous out that the stranger should not hand the treat to her because that reinforces the fear but the stranger should hand me the treat and I give it to olive. Also no bus stop for a few weeks while we work on her confidence. It is very hard I thought was doing everything right I introduced her to everything I could think of she used to be terrified of huge trucks now she walks right by them I took her almost everyday downtown and she was doing so well. I started her in puppy classes the week i got her. She is such a sweet girl. The trainer said she does not like using terms like shy she says the dog just needs their comfidence built up she said she sees nothing in class that even looks like she is a shy dog. She loves everyone in class she is super outgoing and running with all the dogs and tries to get attention from everyone there. Hopefully with some work we will get through the next few weeks and she will feel more confident.
    To me this sounds like a scared dog. But it looks like you are doing your work by taking her out and meeting places. Perhaps you need to bring people more often into your house so she will learn that visitors come. The problem with visitors and these kind of dogs (the ones that get scared and bark uncessantly) is that the more they (or you) try to engage the dog into coming out and saying hi or feeding it treats, the more scared and uncomfortable the dog becomes.

Bring the visitors in, then tell them to completely ignore the dog, let the dog be the one to determine when to approach to smell (and when she does, tell your visitors to keep on ignoring her). Only after the dogs calms down and decides to make friends, then visitors can acknowledge.

This is not typical Lab temperament certainly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast