My lab
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My lab

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy lab

Hunting/retrieving/running partner/camping/hiking tips wanted!!!!!!!

New member here. Only posted once before.
    So my uninteresting story: My son just turned 4 middle of Aug. We were waiting until he was about 4 to get a dog. I grew up in country/rural and had a lab as a kid. I live in SC and have always deer hunted but knew wanted this dog to be a lab bc getting to duck and dove hunting. Jan 7th of 2013 my son was bit in face by neighbors lab (craziness) and needed 27 stitches. So my wife after that was hesitant to get a dog and especially a lab. But my son day after getting bit was playing with a diff neighbors dog and other members of the family's dog. He was able to see was just that one dog that was 'mean' and in March we were in Maryland visiting friends who have a huge 140lb tall american bulldog. Son was in love with him. So wife opened back to getting a dog. Called around diff trainers in town to get info about their puppy training programs and let them know what we were looking for in a lab to get recommendations where to buy. Well by chance one of the higher rated trainers had an elderly woman in his puppy class with a 5 month AKC male black lab, which was exactly what looking for, and the woman recently got very sick and was looking for a new owner for the dog. She used to train dogs in her younger days and lived rural and had a lot of property and a pond the dog had been playing in. We met with woman and the dog. Besides being an energetic 5 month old the dog had basic commands down and was very friendly. Boy and dog took to each other. The woman actually gave us the dog at no charge bc she said just wanted to go to a good home. That included his papers. We took him home and started bringing him into family. We finished puppy preschool which ended at 6 months. When he was 7 1/2 months we sent him for 8 weeks, comes home Sept 14th, to retriever/obedience trainer. He lives there during the process. The boy and I go at least but sometimes twice a week to see hi. We usually spend 4 hours there. We do obedience with him, land and water retrieves. He has a high drive for retrieving. He has taken to everything extremely well. He was 60lbs at 6 months and is now 9 months (well will be Sept 2nd) and is about 73lbs. Big boy and still growing. We let the boy name him and he chose Santa.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here are some pics, reverse age order with newest/him oldest first.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Welcome to you and your family. Beautiful Lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Welcome. Great looking pup!

J.R. and June

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Santa is very handsome and your son is a cutie!
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Looks like you have a winner there! Congratulations, and welcome to the JL family!

Oh, and your Lab can be a great asset to your deer hunting. I have trained some of mine to be blood trackers. Sure makes a HUGE difference to have your dog pull you to your dead/wounded deer rather than being on your hands and knees looking for tiny blood splatters. Even if the deer stops bleeding, the dog will follow the hoof scent. They can follow a wounded deer into a lake, over miles of terrain, after an inch of rain, and through terrain that most people would not voluntarily go through (picture the deer crawling through thorn bushes and shrub that is impossible for a human to get through.....
    Last edited by Belles mom; 08-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

omg, he is sooooooo cute!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Looks like you have a winner there! Congratulations, and welcome to the JL family!

Oh, and your Lab can be a great asset to your deer hunting. I have trained some of mine to be blood trackers. Sure makes a HUGE difference to have your dog pull you to your dead/wounded deer rather than being on your hands and knees looking for tiny blood splatters. Even if the deer stops bleeding, the dog will follow the hoof scent. They can follow a wounded deer into a lake, over miles of terrain, after an inch of rain, and through terrain that most people would not voluntarily go through (picture the deer crawling through thorn bushes and shrub that is impossible for a human to get through.....
    Wow I need to get on that!
    The goal is bird retrieving now through spring. By then he should be set. Then in spring work on retrieving antlers. Seems like a fun and practical things. But if i can get him to help track deer ne huge too. Nice!

Thanks everyone for comments!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Santa is a handsome boy and your son is adorable.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast