Nervous mom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous mom

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNervous mom

So we live by a ton of beaches we are not allowed on them until the 15 th of September but there are a few areas we can get to the water So far I have only let olive in holding a leash I am so nervous to let her off leash to go in. This is my first big dog so I am used to always having to keep my little ones on the leash. I want her to be comfortable with the water so when the beaches open she can play with the other dogs. I guess I am a little scared I almost drown in the water so I have not been in it in 22 years. I do know how to swim just a bit scared. The place we can go now is a pretty tame area where everyone parks there baits so it is very calm and there are no waves. Do most people just let there dogs go in?
    Last edited by Olive's mom; 08-29-2013 at 07:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernies previous owners threw him into deep water and had him swim to the shore. Not something I would ever do. He loves the water and the bigger the waves the better fun he has. He is a fish in a Labs coat. Both Tess and Erns have so much fun in the water.
    I would just let her do her thing as she knows her limits.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks I kind of figured she would. I have never had a dog off leash never mind swimming in the ocean so I was nervous. Probably my fear of the water was driving my nervousness.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I was nervous about letting Siren off the leash in the brook near our house, not for drowning so much but more for getting him back to shore and not swimming off in the opposite direction. Even in my own pool I'd have him on the long training leash just in case he got too close to the sides where we just put in a new liner and I didn't want him scratching it. But now he's had some off leash time and is getting very good at coming back I just let him go. He's a water dog, that is for sure. Goes in swims around and when he's had enough, comes out.

Just work on the off leash time on land for now, to make sure Olive gets it.

I haven't had Siren at the ocean yet, same as you have to wait until mid Sept, and also a bit of a drive for us (45 minutes). But he was at the lake with us for vacation this summer and the waves from the wakes of the boats he had a ball trying to grab and bite them.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I understand your fear especially of the ocean. The only thing I would do is make sure you have someone that is a strong swimmer, and not afraid of the water, until you are comfortable that she will be ok. My biggest fear would be rip currents.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

We also live by the beach and the rip currents can be dangerous. I have seen big dogs (like a newfie) get stuck in one. The dog was pretty far out and thank goodness there was a surfer coming in from the ocean who helped the dog get back to the shore.

We let our dogs off leash and swim as they choose (to their comfort level), but we are always prepared to jump in and get them if anything goes down (get stuck in seaweed, rip currents, etc).

J.R. and June

The place I can take her to now is the inner harbor where all the boats are docked it is very calm so I know she would not get swept away by a current but hat is a really good point when the beaches open. I live a mile from a few beaches so I definitely want her to be able to go on them with all the other dogs. I do have. 30 foot lead I can use when we are alone but I know sometimes when you are in a group of dogs using a leash is not a good idea. The beaches where I will bring her are not known for strong currents although there are several that are known for that butbimwould never take her to those. My parents have had springers for over 30 years and have taken them to the beach so I will enlist their help also. It amazes me how olive sticks by my side if my dachshunds in their younger years ever got off leash they would take off and not look back.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

I think the best part of having a dog beach is that the dogs get to run off leash, swim, and play with the other pups.

J.R. and June

labchris is offline Senior Member

I never tought about this. I just let him off leash at the beach and let him do whatever he wants to do. He never goes into the water, though, since he does not want to leave me
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    I think the best part of having a dog beach is that the dogs get to run off leash, swim, and play with the other pups.
    It is definitely one of the things I am excited about it is so new to me. Funny I should be worried I have taken my parents dogs to the beach my whole life. We are definitely going to try her in the harbor this weekend it will be a great place for her to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast