Sad Day
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day

Whitman is offline Junior Member

DefaultSad Day

Hi Folks, I've been lurking on this forum for sometime in anticipation of our new pup which we named Maddie Lynn. Long story short, we purchased our Maddie from Koven Dog Training based in Wisconsin http://www.kovendogtraining.com/companion. We were scheduled to pick up and spend an entire day interfacing with Maddie in November to go over and learn all the commands she has been trained to do. Today we received a call from the trainer/owner informing us that Maddie developed a torque and passed away today. Needless to say we are devastated! We are heartbroken that we never got to meet Maddie.

So moving forward, I am not sure how to proceed. I am reluctant to pick out another dog from this litter. I am not sure if this is a fluke or something else, meaning hereditary or predisposed. The trainer was very remorseful and apologetic. He is given us the choice of picking out another dog or a full refund ($5,000…pup, training).

In hindsight, I am not sure if spending $5,000 and having to fly from CT to Wisconsin for a trained puppy is the correct route to take. We are saddened that this has not worked out, but are opened to any suggestions. We are looking for a female English Lab that would be professionally trained. We live in Connecticut. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!

http://www.kovendogtraining.com/companion (Scroll down to see a picture of Maddie "Clinton, CT").

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am sorry you lost your puppy before you got to meet her. RIP Maddie.

Are you opposed to training a puppy yourself? Personally I don't think you can beat the bond created by training with a puppy. Labs can have many puppy qualities for 2 - 3 years and some beyond that. I did not look at the website you listed, something tells me not to. There are good breeders that you can get a great, quality puppy from. $5000 is complete insanity, JMO.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. Run free sweet Maddie.

That is a lot of money. How long would the trainer have the puppy to spend time training it? I would like to spend that time with it to bond. I have found with mine training is on going so one way or other you will still need to do some work with it. Could you find a good trainer close to home so you can get help when you need it.?

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear that. That does sound like a lot of money. If you are worried about training a puppy have you considered adopting an adult. Even a very trained puppy has to be continually worked with. At certain ages puppies seem to forget everything you taught and have to be reminded .

MissyM is offline Member

So sorry for the loss of you girl. I would be skeptical too about getting a puppy from the same litter.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Holy hell - people will pay 5K for a trained PET? I am in the wrong business. I can see paying that much for a personal protection animal - but the level of training for a dog like that is significantly higher than a pet.

There are many, many excellent breeders in the NY/NJ/CT/PA area (and more in New England). What is important in acquiring a puppy is the temperament of the adults who were bred, the health history of the adults bred and the lines they come from. Labs are pretty easy to train and it's a fun thing to do. You miss out on a tremendous bonding opportunity when you have somebody else train your dog (with who knows what outdated methods).

I have to leave for work, but will add breeders later for your review. I am sure someone else will chime in before then. You can start by googling Labrador Breed Club for your geo area. Lab clubs usually have breeder members references. In NJ there is the Mid-Jersey Club and the Jersey Skylands club. See below.

Jersey Skylands Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.

WELCOME TO MID-JERSEY LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB, INC
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just took a look at their site. I personally can't imagine reputable breeders selling their dogs to trainers who then handle the family selection. Reputable breeders are extremely choosy about where their puppies go. That school does not indicate who their breeders are - just that they are in the midwest. And, looking at the dogs they have placed, there are very few of them that I would consider bred to the breed standard.

Another point - they indicate that the breeding stock has OFA certificiation on hips. What about elbows? Can you see the certification? There are degrees of soundness - are these hips excellent, fair, poor - what? And - do they clear hearts, test for exercise induced collapse (which is inherited), test eyes?

Another question I would have is how are they socializing those puppies? Socialization in the first few months of life is critical. You have to expose the puppies to different people and situations/sounds/sights. Typically this means leaving the property. You can't wait until 7 months of age to socialize a puppy.

Why do you want a "professionally trained" dog? You can hire a trainer and get one on one training locally.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-29-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

A couple other things struck me about that place.

While they seem to have a beautiful grounds, it appears that they dog's are kept in crates in the garage. How much house time do they get? How much individual time? I would want the pup to be a part of the household all the time.

It says that the pups are spayed/neutered when they go to their new owners at 7 months. Very early to be spayed.

I wonder how much jumping they are doing with the pups for the agility training?

If they are paying $1,000 for each pup, then they are charging you $1,000/month for training. Very very pricey.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss, but agree that the bond you build with your puppy the first few months of it's life, far outweigh the value of professional training. Your pup is going to bond with somebody else instead of you.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I also have to ask why you want a professionally trained dog? What do you want it trained for? Hunting? Obedience? Most training is best done by the owner, creating a bond with your pup as it learns. You learn how to interact with the dog as it learns to trust you, you learn how to properly give commands, etc. There are classes all over that you can take the puppy to so you learn how to train.

And yes, $5,000 is a lot of money to spend for a dog. When I clicked on the links you provided, it comes up as "Page not found." I think you need to contact them immediately and get a full refund, before the 'kennel' disappears, as well.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast