Do you hug your dogs?...be careful
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you hug your dogs?...be careful

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you hug your dogs?...be careful

I have poison ivy on the inside of arms and side of neck/face. I found it growing in the corner of the yard where they always go sniffing. I suppose it was on their fur.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MikeE is offline Senior Member

Oh yes. I've gotten poison ivy from the pups a few times. And I get it BAD.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Been there done that, too. Many a time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
    Oh yes. I've gotten poison ivy from the pups a few times. And I get it BAD.
    Me too!! I've gotten from Bauer as well. We do this thing that I call "puppy hugs"; he sits in front of me, and I bury my face in neck and we hug. A few years ago I got it all over my face from "puppy hugging". When I called my boss to tell her I wouldn't be able to go to Houston for a meeting, she said, "What were you doing? Rubbing your face all over your dog?" I said, "Yes! Are you judging me?" She just laughed.

It was really bad that time though; my face swelled up, and my kids called me Sloth (from Goonies) for months.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Nope. I know to stay away from him after he's been fetching up golf balls in poison ivy. Neither of us golf and a friend who does has had a very bad reaction to poison ivy. He won't take the golf balls, not even after we hose them off.

Hope you are better soon. On your face? Yikes. What are doing for it?

firstlabellen is offline Senior Member

Hey Everyone, Do you know if dogs can get poison ivy? Recently, Lilly and I were visiting at my sons' house. She ran through a large patch of poison ivy. Later, she started scratching and bumps on her chest area. The vet thought bug bites.

Thanks for your input.
    Jeanette
    Mom of Lilly, Kate and Ellen
    (Kate crossed over the Bridge August 30, 2012
    (Ellen crossed over the Bridge June 9, 2009)

My precious Lilly....Born: February 13, 2011

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by firstlabellen View Post
    Hey Everyone, Do you know if dogs can get poison ivy? Recently, Lilly and I were visiting at my sons' house. She ran through a large patch of poison ivy. Later, she started scratching and bumps on her chest area. The vet thought bug bites.

Thanks for your input.
    Common knowledge has it that dogs are not susceptible to poison ivy. Certainly my golf ball retrieving dogs in poison ivy have not shown any sign. But there's always an exception to a rule.

I do believe it's the oil in crushed leaves that causes the reaction. But again, one you're sensitized just brushing against a leaf might set you off.

ETA: Anyone for a poison ivy funny story? As mentioned my dogs fetch up errant golf balls that fly over the fence and land in poison ivy. Sometimes we see golfers searching for balls and often, there they are, wearing shorts, wading about the poison ivy, brushing though it with their bare hands, looking for their lost balls and other people's lost balls. I always ask them, "Umm, you do know that's poison ivy you're in, right?" And many times they have ignored me and given me dirty looks and I think they think I'm trying to scare them off so my dogs will get all the balls. Goofballs.
    Last edited by Dog Paddle; 08-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

I've gotten it from my cat before this same way. I did get it indirectly from Siren this summer, while walking I must have brushed my arm against a leaf growing along a fence and got a small patch of it.

I hate the stuff!!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

What are doing for it?
    In the past, I have experimented with every over the counter medicine including topical cortisone. Nothing was better than calamine lotion which is as good as nothing. This time I found jewel weed, said to counteract poison ivy. I tried it and it seems to help but I need a control...one arm treated with jewel weed, and one arm untreated.

I don't know if dogs get it, unlikely because all the fur prevents skin contact.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    ETA: Anyone for a poison ivy funny story? As mentioned my dogs fetch up errant golf balls that fly over the fence and land in poison ivy. Sometimes we see golfers searching for balls and often, there they are, wearing shorts, wading about the poison ivy, brushing though it with their bare hands, looking for their lost balls and other people's lost balls. I always ask them, "Umm, you do know that's poison ivy you're in, right?" And many times they have ignored me and given me dirty looks and I think they think I'm trying to scare them off so my dogs will get all the balls. Goofballs.
    There is always tons of poison ivy around golf courses. I am ALWAYS on the look out. I won't even try to find a ball if it goes into the woods. I was with my son at a golf tournament last month, and his caddy/friend kept walking off into the woods to look for balls (he found over 50 in 18 holes). I warned him repeatedly that he was going to get poison ivy, but he didn't believe me (I wouldn't even let him get in my car until he washed off in the bathroom). 2 days later his mom texted me that he was covered in poison ivy.

My husband gets embarrassed because I am constantly pointing out poison ivy to other spectators during golf tournaments. The last time he said, "Will you please stop? You sound like an obsessed poison ivy policeman." I can't help it! I'm extremely susceptible and extremely allergic to it.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast