Car Safety
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Safety

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

DefaultCar Safety

Webster currently rides in the back of my SUV in a crate that fits perfectly in my car. The bigger he gets (now 67lbs) the harder it is to lift him into the back. I was thinking about getting a ramp but would have to remove the crate, in order to keep the ramp in the back. I have also been contemplating having him ride in the back seat with a harness on, then I wouldn't need the ramp at all. Is one way better than the other, or is it personal preference? I know not everyone drives a SUV that can carry a wire crate in the back. I would like to keep him confined some way especially after witnessing and accident that left a poor scared dog running around on a highway. My goal is to keep him safe, and not kill my back in the process.

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I used a harness/seat belt combo until I read a report of how dangerous they can be. I now have a crate in the back of my vehicle. Luckily Emma is not a car fan and only goes to the vets which is a mile from my house and play dates which are 2-3 miles. I still use the harness combo to take her those places but since they are short distances I am not as paranoid. Maxx loves to go everywhere!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Does the manufacturer of your SUV make a proprietary pet barrier that bolts in place and separates the cargo area from the passenger area? I know that Volvo and Audi make these for their station wagons and perhaps your car manufacturer makes one for your vehicle. It turns the whole cargo area into a crate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labchris is offline Senior Member

I drive an SUV, too. I use a hammock (it is more like a seat cover) + harness + a seat belt. No way that I put my dog in a crate in the back, since I a) want to keep an eye on him b) In case of an accident, it is pretty hard to open the cage if he is in the back. Thus, he rides on the back seat of my SUV.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

SUV here, as well. But, I drive a Ford Expedition, so room isn't a problem. Diesel rides in a crate, with a ratchet strap holding it down. I've also been thinking about getting a ramp, probably one of those collapsible ones that would just slide in next to the crate.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

labchris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by D Bros. View Post
    SUV here, as well. But, I drive a Ford Expedition, so room isn't a problem. Diesel rides in a crate, with a ratchet strap holding it down. I've also been thinking about getting a ramp, probably one of those collapsible ones that would just slide in next to the crate.
    Is there a reason why you chose the crate over a harness?
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Is there a reason why you chose the crate over a harness?
    Mainly so that he's not loose in the back of the truck. Partly a safety issue, so that in case of an accident he's not flying around inside the truck, injuring himself or me. And partly a cleanliness issue, to keep the mess more confined. Diesel is a gundog, trained for pheasant and waterfowl hunting. He can be pretty dirty or wet sometimes at the end of a hunt.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    Does the manufacturer of your SUV make a proprietary pet barrier that bolts in place and separates the cargo area from the passenger area? I know that Volvo and Audi make these for their station wagons and perhaps your car manufacturer makes one for your vehicle. It turns the whole cargo area into a crate.
    I actually havent checked out that option yet!

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I thought I had read that they are safer in a harness that is fastened to a seat belt, than in a crate? Something about crates being crushed and doors popping open. The safety harness keeps them in one seat and prevents them from flying around the car in case of an accident?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    I drive an SUV, too. I use a hammock (it is more like a seat cover) + harness + a seat belt.
    I do this combination as well. I can't fit a crate in my crossover, so that is really not even an option for me. I do like being able to keep an eye on him in the backseat and I don't want him all the way in the back if we get rear-ended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast