Interesting Behaviour

Thread: Interesting Behaviour

Geoff is offline Junior Member

DefaultInteresting Behaviour

My partner and I share a house with her sister, and 2 friends. We often keep our pup in our room when lots of people are around especially when they are cooking cause he can be a bit of a nuisance still.

Any ways, for the most part, if my partner and I leave the room and close the door he will often cry at the door. If we leave the door open we tend to expect him to follow us to wherever it is we are headed. Which up until recently was normal behaviour.

The funny thing is, he has started to lie down and cry at the door sometimes even if we leave the room with the door wide open. If i we go back to get him it seems like we have to actually invite him to follow before he'll come out. Its not all the time, and seems to be completely random. he's not nervous around any one and loves attention from any one that will give it.

Now we do tend to use the room as a sort of time-out area as well when he gets excitable or we have guests/clients (i do some work from home), but to my knowledge we've never provided him any reason to doubt that the open door meant any thing other than come with us. I dont think any one has ever left the door open and told him to stay or done any such training. I mean, he knows stay, but we've never used it in that instance.

So... really not sure where this behaviour is coming from. I wouldnt call it bad... but it is unexpected lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I think there are a lt of people who would pay good money for a dog that did that naturally!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Apart from the crying my boy does that too and we welcome it. We always gated him upstairs while we watched the evening news on TV with our supper. Now he lies at the top of the stairs, ungated, till our meal is finished. Maybe yours is similar? He just learned it's a good place to be?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Geoff is offline Junior Member

I would assume that he thinks this is what we expect... but he obviously doesnt like it as he whines. And considering how stubborn he is with just about everything else im surprised this is what he would choose to do haha

boygeorge is offline Member

He probably learned it and that's very smart, and probably can learn more behavioral things easily.
    "Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." ~Sue Murphy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

He may think he is suppose to stay at the door. Erns used to run away as soon as anyone opened the front door. Drove me nuts so I spent weeks teaching him to sit on the rug in the hall. We can go out the front door leaving it open and he doesn't move no matter what is going on outside. Sometimes he has gone to the door and I know he wants to come out, but won't.

I don't like mine in the living room as I like one room to be without dog fur for people who aren't dog people so have gates. Often people forget to put them back and neither dog goes in. It is as if they know guest rooms are not for dogs.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

perhaps ur pup just wants attention. clearly whenever he cries even when the door is wide open, you would go get him out or invite him out, so maybe he is associating that as a way to get you guys to pay him some attention.?! plus he has already associated that door/room to be the place he should be to wait for your instructions. and i agree, alot of people would love for their dogs to do that automatically! LOL

i trained my Bella to sit at the door till i invite her to go out, and to wait till i have put her food in her bowl to eat. so maybe that's something similar to your situation