Big head
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big head

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultBig head

Hello!

I have seen so many dogs now in the dog park. My Smiley has a really big and heavy head and is kind of strong . Is that normal for some labs? My friend still keeps telling me that Smiley is a pitbull mix. I asked many people, and many of them told me that he is a nice and happy lab. Thinking that he is a pitbull-mix makes me kind of furious.

Attachment 8143Attachment 8144Attachment 8145
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the other folks you've asked, he looks all Lab to me. Labs are known for having wide, somewhat blocky heads. As for being strong, oh yeah....definitely another Lab trait. They're usually pretty muscular and strong.

As for what some people say, don't let it get to you. There's a lot of know-it-alls out there that can't wait to show off their so-called knowledge. In any case, he's a happy boy that loves to be with you. What else really matters?
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I can't see his head very well in those pics but if he is bench bred and was allowed to mature past puberty before he was neutered he might have a proper male Lab head, which those used to BYB or field bred or neutered too early dogs might not be accustomed to seeing.

And there's nothing wrong with being part PitBull. We laughed at a co-worker who became incensed one day when someone thought he was of a certain racial descent, and he was not. Way to go there buddy, reveal your biases and bigotry and insensitivity all in one fell swoop why don't you? 'course it's a little more serious with people.

I can't resist, here's a head story from yesterday when we met a new doggy. Talk about heads. Head and tail, though docked, of a Sharpei. Everything else including colour of a GSP, but small. The shelter had apparently been calling her Hippo Head. Her new lady owner named her Roxy. Honestly, Roxy's head was so big and heavy looking for her body it looked like she might tip over on her nose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

There's no pit in Smiley. As D. Bros said, don't let it get to you. I'm pretty sure 90% of us at JL have heard odd comments about our labs over the years. I never minded questions from people who genuinely didn't know what the breed was. Like, "What kind of dog is that?" I was always happy to tell them. What I did get annoyed over (at first) was the stupid comment from someone who deemed themselves an authority on all breeds and try to convince me my lab couldn't possibly be a lab, rather, a mix of some sort. With those people I just learned to say something like, "Oh, really?" and then tune them out.

Seamus and Flynn

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with Nance, Smiley is all Lab! A nice blocky head is what he should have. Ignore those who don't know what a Lab should look like. Smile, nod your head and walk away.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I know there are issues with transporting him if you move if were a pitbull but really, it shouldn't make you mad to think he could be part pittie.

but either way, he looks lab. labs have big square heads (most do) which is normal

One thing to always remember - people are bad at identifying breeds. Me included. It is very hard and people are often wrong. I have had quite a few fosters where people said "pit mix" and they were not. Or other errors.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I want $5 for every time someone has asked me if our boys were pitbull mixes! All 3 are Canadian Champs and all have points in AKC. It's the head bench labs are supposed to have. Nothing to get mad about. People are just used to seeing field bred or backyard breeder labs. Just enjoy when you find the occasional person that knows labs and compliments you on how nice his head is.

nicole is offline Senior Member

I don't see any pitbull in him when I look at your pics, but you rescued him so there's no way of proving it. It didn't matter when you got him, why would it matter now?

labby is offline Senior Member

Labs are supposed to have a wide skull. It's the lock-picking narrow nosed and narrow skulls that are abnormal. Unfortunately, it's the lock-pickers that most people see and so they think those are what they should look like.

Laura

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

In every picture that you've posted of Smiley, not once have I thought pit-mix. All I see is Lab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast