One Person Dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Person Dog

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne Person Dog

Can a dog be too attached to their owner?

I had to go out of town for a few days and leave my dog. She didn't sleep in her bed while I was gone opting to sleep in her crate and she also hung out in her crate often while I was gone. She is normally a pretty social dog too. She hangs out with my kids and the neighborhood kids and does well in crowds of people whether she knows them or not so I believe she is well socialized.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

She sounds just fine. In your absence she probably got a bit of extra security and comfort from her crate.

Seamus and Flynn

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

My corgi who is almost 12, sleeps by the front door every time I go out of town. The last time, I had to go away, apparently Todd slept by the door too. They don't lose any sleep and still eat and play while I'm gone so, I just think that they know I'll be back, and are waiting for me. It's a nice feeling to be loved that much.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

My parents chocolate lab is similar. I have known her since she was a baby, but when my parents take vacation and I go to their house to watch her she gets really shy (or maybe she is pouting) and goes in the bedroom by herself. After a couple of days she comes out and enjoys the party (with my two pups).

J.R. and June

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't call it a "one person dog" but every dog surely has their favourite person. From your posts you do a lot with Layla, so her regular routine was upset when you left, so she just chilled out in her crate.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I'd say that is a good thing that she went to her crate at such a time. As others have said good crate training means the dog likes their crate and feels like it is a safe place for them.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Champ adored Bill, and whenever he would leave for either work or play and be gone overnight, Champ would lay by the kitchen door. He would do that for a couple of days, then return to 'normal' behavior until Bill came home.

When Bill died, Champ laid next to where the hospital bed had been, for several days. Then he moved to the back door and laid there for several more days. He would come to me if called, ate and went out as usual, but chose to stay in an area where he felt close to Bill. After a couple of weeks he started spending more time with us, and after a couple of months he was pretty much back to normal.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Diesel_Dawg, it is not that she is a "one person" dog, but more that her normal routine was upset by you not being there.

Even though my Lexi adores my parents, whenever I leave her with them to travel for work, she gets mopey. The first day or so, she is constantly checking the driveway for my car. She eventually stops doing that, but she is definitely not her bouncy happy self.

When I get back she is all happy & excited.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

My Grandpa & Grandma had a mutt. It was about 3 when Grandpa died. It lived another month. Call that whatever you want. Grandma said the dog died of a broken heart.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    My Grandpa & Grandma had a mutt. It was about 3 when Grandpa died. It lived another month. Call that whatever you want. Grandma said the dog died of a broken heart.
    Now that is just sad.

I believe that happens. My friends I used to dogsit for had 4 dogs. They divorced and split up the dogs, each taking two. All four dogs were dead within 18mos. Now one was a senior, and another did have cancer, but the other two were healthy other than losing one of their humans and their other canine companions. Their lives had been completely uprooted, they were never the same after the divorce. I still looked after them (separately) and they were by far not the same dogs I had known since they were pups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast