The Myth of the Alpha Dog - article

Thread: The Myth of the Alpha Dog - article

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Myth of the Alpha Dog - article

A great article by Eric Brad (I started listening to the podcasts of the articles, he's quite good).

LIFE AS A HUMAN — The Myth of Alpha Dogs
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Read it and loved it!
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 08-23-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

yeah i cringe when I see some applications. or when I see it during visits.

the other thing I see, often wtih men who say they have trained tons of dogs and "don't need classes" - they look at the visiting dog, and with no hand movements, no encouraging body position (either leaning forward into the dog or sitting sloppily) say "sit sit sit sit sit" to the dog and then quickly pat theri buts cuz the dog isn't sitting. Sigh. I try to remember to talk tot hem "stand up straight and use the hand signal please, it's all about body position/signals - he knows sit but using the hang signal". Derby's adopters did that.

I alway chuckle how people who know tons about training/have had lots of dogs for whatever reason or ARE trainers - are always more ready to learn more, as they realize their is always MORE to learn. that they don't know it all. But people who have "trained all their past (2-4) dogs so don't need that" - they don't need to learn anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Great article, Tanya, thanks for sharing it! It would be interesting to hear opinions of those that actually still hold belief in the alpha mentality, whether it's the alpha rolls, or simply not letting their dog enter a room before them, or not sit on furniture so they don't claim it, etc. I always found that to be a bunch of horse pucky.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Yeah, no need for the alpha dog training if you do it right...with love and rewards. When I got Diesel's e-collar, it came with a training booklet and DVD. Leafing through the booklet, I saw it was all about being the alpha. Tossed both of them in the DVD cabinet, and haven't looked at them since. I only use the collar to reinforce commands he already knows.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Not only did I enjoy the article but will make sure my husband reads it as well. He thinks Cesar Millan is the best dog person in the world. While SOME of his ideas are OK...I have to call BS on a lot of them. We do make Jack wait at the door to go out or come in the house, but that's more about him being a big strong boy and us both being not too stable on our feet then it is about "who's in control" I do sometimes catch my husband pushing Jacks paw off him when they are sitting face to face because he says "he's claiming that he owns me" which is no doubt some BS he got from Dog Whisperer. I tell him no, he loves you. Jacks always touching one of us. Not because he thinks he "owns" us. Because he's a bit of a velcro guy and he wants to touch his Daddy & Mommy all the time. Anyway, now I'm babbling again so Thank you for posting the article!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Having spent what I consider is a good amount of time in training centers, the first class with the newbs is hilarious. They think Fido is a wonderdog.

The biggest thing I hate about Cesar Millan is that stupid 'Tsk - Tsk' crap he's taught the world. The next person who TSK's their dog in my presence is going to get an earful. Why not just tell the dog to do something instead of distracting him from what he's doing? A simple sit would work half the time.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

KathyArch - that's just good manners You still want a dog that knows that when you issue a command, you mean it. but first comes the training and building trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Having spent what I consider is a good amount of time in training centers, the first class with the newbs is hilarious. They think Fido is a wonderdog.

The biggest thing I hate about Cesar Millan is that stupid 'Tsk - Tsk' crap he's taught the world. The next person who TSK's their dog in my presence is going to get an earful. Why not just tell the dog to do something instead of distracting him from what he's doing? A simple sit would work half the time.

ROFL!! OMG I have barely hold back my eye rolling and groan when people do that (and many do). The one thing about fostering and doing hoem visits (and I do them with other fosters too) - you see a lot of that kind of stuff. You gotta really really really weigh your words carefully.

And so frustrating on the lab boards all the puppy owners who think their puppies, babies, are dominant and trying to "be the boss". at 7-10 weeks. I can't blame the, that is the logic Ceasar Milan and other trainers put out there and being a celebratiy trainer they get TONS of airtime.