Help! My 10-month old puppy won't sleep through the night??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My 10-month old puppy won't sleep through the night??

Otto442 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! My 10-month old puppy won't sleep through the night??

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get your two cents on an issue I have been having with my 10 month old lab-mix, Otto.

To sum it up: he wakes up and whines in the middle of the night every night.

He used to sleep until around 6am or so, when I would wake up and feed him and take him on a long walk and all of that jazz. But it has progressively gotten earlier and earlier, where he demands food at 4am and now even as early as 2:30am. He cries/whines/barks until I get up. Sometimes I'll put his leash on him and try to hold him in bed with me instead of giving him food, but the whining persists.

And here's the catch: I live in an apartment building where I cannot simply ignore his whines/cries, because it'd be disruptive to the rest of the building. I understand that ignoring him is likely the only way to really combat the issue (as reinforcing behavior will simply perpetuate it)... but does anyone have any creative ideas??? Or any way to muddle the sound??

I currently allow him to sleep with me, but he also is crate-trained and his crate is currently in my bedroom. I am moving to a 1BR on Monday, where I will be able to put his crate anywhere in the house (no roommates). Would it be beneficial to put his crate at the other end of my 1BR and just force him to sleep there to "cry it out"?? I know moving may be tough on him in and of itself so I do not want to throw him off too much, but trying to find the best solution possible with this one.

Any and all advice from you guys is very very very welcome

Thank you so much!

Abby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What does the rest of his schedule look like? Does he get an evening meal? Does he get any evening exercise? When is his last potty break at the end of the day.

Is there a neighbor or something in the area that might be causing a sound that wakes him?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He has a dog walker come for a half hour at around noon. Then he goes back in his crate. I get home from work at around 5:30. We go for a long walk and often times head to the dog park nearby. We get back to the house at around 7:30pm and he eats then (~1.75 cups). We go out for another shorter walk at around 9:30, which is the last time he goes out. We then go to bed. He also eats ~1.75 cups in the morning when he wakes up and we go for a long walk then, too.

My apartment is really quiet so there aren't really any other noises that could be waking him. He's the only loud one

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Let me mull this over a bit. I'll get back to you this evening after work.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Are you sure he's whining for food? Maybe something else is bothering him?

I wouldn't move his crate to the other end of the apartment if he's used to sleeping near you. He will feel separated from you and he might get worse.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

interesting problem. I would normally let them bark. Can you tell his hush or does that not work?

Agree that I would NOT move a dog to the other end of the house/apt if they are used to sleepign with you. If he is used to being in the bedroom at night I would leave it at that unless there is a reason not to (other than this barking issue)

Does it matter if he is in the crate/on the bed? for the barking?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

No, "hush" or "No!" do not work. He keeps at it no matter what I say. And he will barf and whine both in the bed or in the crate, doesn't make a difference. He will also start to scratch at my door and chew anything he can get his mouth on if I try to delay going out. :-/

I understand your sentiment about not moving him to another area in the house, but I am wondering if this move to a new place may be a good time to "mix up" the routine since it'll all be different for him, anyway? I am not quite sure how else to prevent him from waking up and barking like that.

It's a tough one!

Thank you all so much for your responses thus far.

Meant to say bark, not barf

Tanya is offline Senior Member

that is starting to sound like anxiety...is he frantic?

what happens ify ou take him out to potty and maybe "see" the apt/yard?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

He is happy as a clam when I take him out to pee and see the yard. Then he is often willing to hop back into bed for about another hour but starts the whining and barking again at 4 or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast