Psycho Puppy AKA Maniac Mutt eats ANYTHING
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho Puppy AKA Maniac Mutt eats ANYTHING

harleysmama is offline Junior Member

DefaultPsycho Puppy AKA Maniac Mutt eats ANYTHING

Help! Harley is an almost 9 month old Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix that will eat just about anything he finds outside...he doesn't chew anything in the house though. I've taken pieces of siding from him that he pulled off the house! But he's favorite is wood. He's constantly bringing sticks, branches, bark, anything wood into the house and then shreds it all over the floor. Seems I spend most of my day cleaning up "mulch". If only I could get him to shred it where I want it...He had plenty of toys (time to go shopping again) but he shreds those too in a matter of minutes. He's mangled some of my flower pots and the flowers in them, anything plastic, the list goes on. At this point, I just want to keep the wood out of the house! Any suggestions?

IMGP2807.jpg
    Harley at 3 months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

That's my Tony, 11 months, you're describing. Keep a box by the door and whenever he comes in the house, check his mouth and pull out the sticks. He rips branches off my shrubs and butt tucks around the yard with it. I had to get rid of all of the stuffed toys because he ate the stuffing. He knows "leave it" and "drop it" but rarely obeys. Just hang in there for a while; it gets better as they get older.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie has dragged whole tree limbs, leaves and all in my house! She drags in fire wood, sticks, and the other day, my husband's sledge hammer! She dragged it in by the handle and was giving it a good chew! We just laugh it off and clean up the mess...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I have no advice but wanted to say that he is absolutely adorable!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Teach Harley "leave it" and "drop it" or supervise him more closely. Or go with the flow like Pam and just laugh it off and clean up the mess. Options.

harleysmama is offline Junior Member

LOL he's tried to drag whole tree limbs but can't figure out how to get them through the dog door! My husband has animal skins hanging on the wall of our patio and apparently it was windy last night because I got up this a.m. to find the fox on my kitchen floor! I just really wish I could get him to "mulch" on command and where I want him to. That would be awesome lol And thank you Destin, lucky for him he is pretty darn cute!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am just astonished that a puppy would be unsupervised long enough to pull siding off the house. I would be terrified of the harm he could do to himself.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I am just astonished that a puppy would be unsupervised long enough to pull siding off the house. I would be terrified of the harm he could do to himself.
    Me too. I was biting my tongue, hence the "options" of being responsible with your pup, or just laugh it off and pay the corresponding vet bills. Not sure why puppy mulch is desired... little lost on that one, is it meant to be a joke?

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

Long ago...In the land of OZ, Labs were "crossed" with Billy Goats. It's in the genes. Anyone who thinks that they can stop a Lab pup from chewing has waaaay too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dad View Post
    Long ago...In the land of OZ, Labs were "crossed" with Billy Goats. It's in the genes. Anyone who thinks that they can stop a Lab pup from chewing has waaaay too much time on their hands.
    Is this another fact, or just your opinion? I disagree. And certainly disagree with letting any puppy go willy nilly unsupervised allowing them to chew on things that could harm them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast