I need some advice...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice...

Gusser's Mommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultI need some advice...

I have a 4 year old chocolate Lab we named Gus and within the last I would say year we have had a problem. When we leave the house Gus will go into one of the rooms in our house (usually the bathroom) and close the door behind him. When we get home we find him and the damage he has done to the walls and door in the bathroom trying to get out. We have been shutting all the doors in the house so he cannot close himself in but sometimes, like today, I forgot and I found him in the bathroom. The drywall will need replaced because he scratched so bad. What should I do? How do I get him to stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He probably likes the cool tile in the bathroom and lay behind the door which then closes. Mine sometimes do this. All you can do is close the door whenever you leave or put a doorstop to keep it half open.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The bottom line is not to forget to shut the doors. It seems like a pretty easy solution, provided he is behaving himself when he is in the rest of the house. Tack a note on your door so that you and others will see it as you leave the house. SHUT THE DOORS! Simple.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

crate?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above, close the door. you can't train things when you are not home so it is you that must take action to prevent the issue.

Is he crate trained? maybe he needs to go back to the crate.

maybe use baby gates to limit (try to) hos movements?

has anything changed in your routine, in yhe house? is the house cool enough? is it particularly hot
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Alternatively to closing all the doors, you could close all but the bathroom door and install a simple hook and eye to hold the bathroom door open (so it is hooked to the wall behind it when open and can't be moved). That way he has the cool floor to lie on, and will not be able to close the door behind him.

Is he anxious? That kind of reaction to being closed in to a room sounds like he has a bit of an anxiety issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

FLEA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Alternatively to closing all the doors, you could close all but the bathroom door and install a simple hook and eye to hold the bathroom door open (so it is hooked to the wall behind it when open and can't be moved). That way he has the cool floor to lie on, and will not be able to close the door behind him.

Is he anxious? That kind of reaction to being closed in to a room sounds like he has a bit of an anxiety issue.
    I like this idea with the hook to hold the door open. On the other hand I would have anxiety issues too if I were locked in a bathroom and couldn't get out.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLEA View Post
    I like this idea with the hook to hold the door open. On the other hand I would have anxiety issues too if I were locked in a bathroom and couldn't get out.
    I ask because I've had a dog or 2 do this at some point (closing themselves into a room) and never had the freak out happen. The dog might benefit from Rescue Remedy if he has a mild anxiety issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thank You everyone for all your advice!! I really wouldn't have this problem if I would just remember to shut the doors!!
    In response to some of your suggestions:
    +We have no carpet in our house so I don't think he is trying to find some place cool to lay... He has actually come in the bathroom while I have been in there and nudges the door closed with his nose..
    + We used to crate him then we decided to see how he would do when we left him out while we were gone. He did well at first then started misbehaving so we went back to the crate until I came home one day and he had popped the top latch and squeezed out (scratching his nose up to the point it was swollen and I freaked and took him to the vet) leaving the crate mangled so we haven't crated him since.

I was looking online and I did find some things that you put around the door to keep it from closing. They are actually used so children don't close their fingers in the door, but I am looking into getting those.

Thanks Again!!

008.jpg007.jpg
    My little Gusser Man <33

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast